worksheet protection reading

  1. #1
    neeraj
    Guest

    worksheet protection reading

    I have a workbook with 12 worksheets or tabs say Tab1, Tab2...Tab12 in it,
    each dedicated to one of 12 employees respectively to say Emp1, Emp2,..Emp12.
    The requirement is to set up protection such that Emp1 can read only Tab1
    (other tabs should be either greyed out or not visible to Emp1), Emp2 can
    read only Tab2 and so on. Can this be done?

  2. #2
    Mike
    Guest

    RE: worksheet protection reading

    And you have access to all 12 worksheets as well? So you want 12 separate
    passwords written down? If their workstations are protected it might be
    easier to split it into 12 workbooks. Only access to Emp1's worksheet is to
    login with Emp1's username/password.

  3. #3
    neeraj
    Guest

    RE: worksheet protection reading

    Yes, the supervisor of these 12 employees should have access to all 12 tabs.
    Yes, there would be 12 different usernames (and passwords). Emp1 should have
    access only to Tab1 worksheet when he opens the workbook

  4. #4
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: worksheet protection reading

    It can be done by using code to provide the passwords to individual
    worksheets and password protecting each sheet and also password protecting
    the workbook itself.
    The way it can works is that the user is given the option of Enabling or
    Disabling Macros on opening. If the file is opened with Macros disabled then
    all sheets and the workbook are hidden and cannot be unhidden without the
    password, they can only be accessed by Enabling Macro's on start up and
    using the instructions you provide in the code you write.
    Note however that the protection provided in XL is primarily meant to avoid
    mistakes such as inadvertently overwriting a formula, not for real
    protection. Any kind of protection you put on a worksheet can be easily
    overcome by code available on these very forums by anyone who has the will
    and knowledge to do so,
    Regards,
    Alan.
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    neeraj
    Guest

    Re: worksheet protection reading

    Can you provide the code for this

  6. #6
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: worksheet protection reading

    I can, mail me personally on '[email protected]', remove the
    nospam, its done to avoid spam bombardment,
    Regards,
    Alan.

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: worksheet protection reading

    Alan

    Why not post the code to the group?

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  8. #8
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: worksheet protection reading

    I was just going to send a workbook that I already have directly,
    Regards,
    Alan.