new users

  1. #1
    STEVE MAL via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    new users

    Hi, i am quite new to excell and require some help, i am trying to solve a
    problem for a junior football team that i run. I have a list of 14 players
    and require 9 to play at any one time thus leaving 5 subs. They play 4
    quarters so i need so swap the players in each quarter making sure that they
    all get an equal amount of football. I am not sure if there is any formular
    in excel to help with this problem but any help would be much appreciated. Oh
    the players that are subbed in the first quarter need to change every week so
    its not the same lads on the line at the start.

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: new users

    Steve,

    This isn't really a strength of Excel, though I applaud your desire for equal playing time. I
    coached for the last 3 years at the youth level, and what we did is this:

    Keeper, sweeper, and outside backs start and play entire first half. Switch those players at the
    half with four others, who play the entire second half.

    The other ten players, break into two groups of three (center and outside mids) and two groups of
    two (strikers).

    Sub the mids as a group at halfway through each quarter: each group ends up playing half of the
    half.
    Sub the strikers as a group when they appear tired - as frequently as needed, trying to keep
    balanced time, shooting for half time on.

    At the end of the game, each of the 8 players that played defense or keeper at some time end up
    having played 3/4 of the game, and the 6 who only play mid or striker get to play about half of the
    game. You'll rarely get all 14 showing up (which is a big roster for fielding 9 - we used to carry
    12 or 13), so the average time played will increase as your subs decrease, but will make your life
    difficult doing the subs - you may need to start switching from the back. It helps to have a parent
    timing on the sidelines, getting the kids organized, and making sure they know where to go and who
    to replace when you yell "Sub, Ref!"

    Certainly, you can keep track of who played where using a spreadsheet, but there won't be any way to
    do all this automatically.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    STEVE MAL via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: new users

    Cheers Bernie, thanks for the advice, I’m quite new to excel and new to the
    football coaching game, I was on the side line last year wondering why the
    same player always got subbed, my thinking is a player will never improve his
    game if on the side line all the time hence my need for equal and fair
    playing time. I know excel is a powerful tool just thought it may be able to
    help me out. Once again thanks.

    Steve.