Closed Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Database Newbie

  1. #1
    G3£Wh\)zZ@
    Guest

    Database Newbie

    I have just finished typing my entire cd collection into a excel database
    which comprises of Artist , Song, Cd Title, duration , year of release.

    There is over 52,000 entries in the database.

    First of all i would like excel to count how many songs i have by a artist
    and display this in one of the columns.

    Is this possible?

    Then secondly i am a dj and i have the entire uk top 40 charts also on
    excel, if possible i would love to create a new database using my cd
    collection database and the chart database
    to work out and to display what songs i don`t have, is this possible as
    well.

    Many thanks.

    --
    The Source For Premium Newsgroup Access
    Great Speed, Great Retention

  2. #2
    George Gee
    Guest

    Re: Database Newbie

    52,000 is a lot of entries!
    First thing I would do is to make a copy of the file and work with that,
    until you get the results you want.

    You could use 'Autofilter'.

    Select one of the cells in your list, then
    Data > Filter > Autofilter.

    If you wish to find the number of entries by a certain artist,
    click the down arrow in the 'Artist' column, find the artist in the dropdown
    list that you see, and click on it, Excel will display all entries by that
    artist.

    To display all entries: Data > Filter > Show All.

    HTH

    George Gee

  3. #3
    G3£Wh\)zZ@
    Guest

    Re: Database Newbie

    "George Gee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > 52,000 is a lot of entries!
    > First thing I would do is to make a copy of the file and work with that,
    > until you get the results you want.

    Thanks for the reply m8...much appreciated.

  4. #4
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: Database Newbie

    You may like to try Pivot tables?

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Rodney
    Guest

    Re: Database Newbie

    I also work with large database in Excel,
    be careful with sorting and make sure you always have
    a "header Row" across all columns, and have every column
    named. There are issues around with sorts losing integrity,
    though I have not experienced that as yet.

    If you meld two databases, what I do, is to make sure the two
    match "Exactly" the same column amount together with
    exact column location.
    I paste them over to the major database, then change the colour of the
    added rows, before doing a sort of the appropriate column.

    There are column formulas you can use to detect doubles,
    although personally I copy "to and fro" between Excels
    weaker sibling "MSWorks" which has a flashy and blindingly
    fast flat form Database module.
    This however only takes 32,000 records, yet it has the peace of mind
    of being impossible to lose integrity.

    Due to Excels suspect sort problems, I always open the file
    do a "Save as" and rename the file as "(File name)B"
    before working amongst it.
    I cannot imagine having 52,000 rows losing integrity...Aaaarggghh

    rodney at touch88.com.au

    Send spam to the FTC at
    [email protected]
    Thanks, robots.

  6. #6
    G3£Wh\)zZ@
    Guest

    Re: Database Newbie

    "Rodney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    Thanks M8>)