Randomly alter a column of names

  1. #1
    Scudo
    Guest

    Randomly alter a column of names

    I have a list of place names in column A from row 1 to row 56
    Its part of a game so all I want to do is alter the order of names (randomly
    if possible)
    There is only one column which is the one with the names in it.

    thnaks

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Randomly alter a column of names

    One way ..

    Names are assumed in col A, in A1:A20, say

    Put in C1: =RAND()

    Put in B1: =INDEX(A:A,MATCH(SMALL(C:C,ROWS($A$1:A1)),C:C,0))

    Select B1:C1, copy down to C20

    You'd get a random scramble of the names from col A in col B

    Press F9 to re-generate afresh
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Randomly alter a column of names

    For a few different options see
    Random Selection
    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ne...ion/index.html

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected]ional says...

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Randomly alter a column of names

    > .. names in column A from row 1 to row 56

    > Select B1:C1, copy down to C20

    If you have 56 names in A1:A56,
    just select B1:C1 and copy down to C56
    to get the full scramble in col B