Subtracting One Sum From Another

  1. #1
    R. U. Sirius
    Guest

    Subtracting One Sum From Another

    I have a very simple and basic question, but I'm just learning Excel,
    so please bear with me. The situation as follows:

    I have a simple spread sheet, columns C, E, and G are input, outgo,
    and balance (In that order)

    The first four (4) rows are no problem, simple add C to previous G for
    Balance.

    Then when I go to do output it's basically the same, g5 is G4 minus e5

    My question: What is the formula I need enter only once for the
    Balance column? Disregard the first four rows. I'm entering each cell
    individually =sum(e5-g4) =sum(g5-e6) etc. It really is a bummer
    entering all the individual cell formulae.

    I appreciate any assistance, and I apologize for the length of the
    post. Again, I'm just learning.

    BTW: For those who answer questions with a standard "RTFM", I don't
    have TFM.

    TIA

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Subtracting One Sum From Another

    Hi. I'm sorry I don't understand the pattern here; is it a typo?
    =sum(e5-g4) =sum(g5-e6)
    Perhaps you need:
    =g4+c5-e5
    ************
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    George Gee
    Guest

    Re: Subtracting One Sum From Another

    Select the cell in which you have the formula: =sum(e5-g4)
    Move your cursor to the bottom right of the cell, and it will
    become a black cross, when it is a black cross, left-click and drag
    the cursor down the column as far as you want the formula copied.

    This is called copying down.

    Hope this is what you require.

    George Gee

  4. #4
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: Subtracting One Sum From Another

    In addition to George's helpful instructions note that the SUM is
    superfluous in your formula just E5-G4 will do what you want.

    Sandy
    [email protected]
    Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

    news:%[email protected]...