Search within workbook

  1. #1

    Search within workbook

    Hi all,
    I am newbie with excel. Situation follows.
    I have a workbook with two sheets, each sheet has around 60000 rows(part number) and 6 columns (various prices for coresponding part number).
    This is a price list imported from Access.

    1. I need to protect workbook(read only) for distribution and provide search option for entire workbook.
    (i.e. search for part number and result should be entire row highlighted for that part)

    With ctrl-f default option is search "within a sheet" and I need "within a workbook"as a default.
    2. Should (and how) I create third sheet for search option and results.

    Please direct me where to look (books, www) and what to look for, because I do not
    find Excel help very helpfull.
    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Mare,

    When you go to the Ctrl-F search dialog, click on the Replace tab and OPTIONS - there is a pull-daown to select WORKBOOK instead of the default option "Sheet"

    Getting the entire row to highlight when it finds the right part and its corresponding price is into the relms to programming and I think once you're in there, the Ctrl-F option is going to be redunant.

    Anyone else have any ideas?

  3. #3
    Thanks Jon,

    I did not explain that I need to distribute this workbook( price list ) to retailers, and what I need is when THEY press "ctrl-f", default option should be "search within workbook" regardless of default setting in Excel, which is "search within sheet".

    If that is possible I would not have to explain to all of them, what you have kindly explained to me.

    "When you go to the Ctrl-F search dialog, click on the Replace tab and OPTIONS - there is a pull-daown to select WORKBOOK instead of the default option "Sheet" "

    I hope this helps to understand my problem.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Rick Fabrizi
    Guest

    Re: Search within workbook

    Mare,

    I am not sure if we were looking for the same thing but here is a reply that
    I received that took care of my problem/question.

    Hi Rick,
    On Stephen Bullen's Excel MVP page
    http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

    FindLink by Bill Manville would work
    FlexFind by Jan Karel Pieterse would work better and is specifically
    designed for Find

    Selecting all of the sheets and doing Find may be helpful but it really does
    not work. Aside from the danger of forgetting you selected all sheets and
    could permanently damage your file as any change to what you see is done
    to all the other sheets in the selection as well.
    --
    ---
    HTH,