Closed Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Hyperlink more than one cell at a time?

  1. #1
    beginnerExceluser
    Guest

    Hyperlink more than one cell at a time?

    Is there a way to hyperlink multiple cells to multiple files without having
    to link one at a time?

    The cells contain the filename, I'd like to make each one a hyperlink so
    that when you click on it the native file opens.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Zack Barresse
    Guest

    Re: Hyperlink more than one cell at a time?

    No, only one hyperlink per cell.

    Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack)

    "beginnerExceluser" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    beginnerExceluser
    Guest

    Re: Hyperlink more than one cell at a time?

    I only need one hyperlink per cell, but I have a whole column of cells I want
    to hyperlink to a folder that contains the files. I know I can link the
    whole column to one file. I'm just looking for a marco or something that
    will let me link cell 1 to file 1, cell 2 to file 2 and so on without having
    to do one at a time. Any idea how to do that?

  4. #4
    Zack Barresse
    Guest

    Re: Hyperlink more than one cell at a time?

    Yes, but you have to be a little more specific in your particulars. Let me
    ask a few questions here ...

    Are you wanting to perform this only once? Or on-going?
    Will you be hyperlinking every file in a specific folder?
    Are there any other files in this folder?
    Is it the same file location that you are putting the hyperlinks into?
    Where is that one located?
    Are there any specifics/requirements on the friendly names of your
    hyperlinks?
    Any other requirements or details?

  5. #5
    beginnerExceluser
    Guest

    Re: Hyperlink more than one cell at a time?

    Thanks for the help, answers below

  6. #6
    Zack Barresse
    Guest

    Re: Hyperlink more than one cell at a time?

    Let me specify a couple of things here. I will call the document you want
    to insert the hyperlinks into as the Original Workbook. If all files are to
    be contained in the same folder, you will need a way to differentiate them.
    If nothing else we can just use the name of the Original Workbook.

    If the filenames are already in cells in a column, then all we'll need is a
    location. This of course would be a breeze if the files were in the same
    location as the Orignial Workbook. If this is the case, post the range
    these names are located in. If this isn't the case, it will most likely
    prove to be a little more difficult and in-depth.

  7. #7

    Re: Hyperlink more than one cell at a time?

    I'd use a helper column of =hyperlink() formulas:

    Depending on what was in the original column:

    =hyperlink(a1)
    or
    =hyperlink("file:////" & a1)
    or
    =hyperlink("File:////" & "C:\my documents\pdffiles\ " & a1)
    or
    =hyperlink("File:////" & "C:\my documents\pdffiles\ " & a1 & ".pdf")

    And drag down.

  8. #8
    beginnerExceluser
    Guest

    Re: Hyperlink more than one cell at a time?

    Each file in the folder has a unique name, which is entered into the column
    in the Original Workbook. Is that enough to differentiate the files?

    I can easily save the Original Workbook into the folder where the files
    reside. At the moment, the Original Workbook is in the directory above the
    folder containing the files.

    The range of the cells? (not sure if I'm following you here, this is the
    column with the file names)
    =$AA$2:$AA$85

    Path to the files:
    \\A-Todd\Excel links\Personal Folders\Work\Bigmar Subfolders\Cisplatin

    A sample of the value in the cell (AA2):
    Personal Folders\Work\Bigmar Subfolders\Cisplatin\0001.htm
    (Note, it is almost the entire path)

    So if I browse to the Cisplatin folder, there will be a file 0001.htm. I'd
    like to have all the cells in column AA linked to the appropriate file named
    in the cell.

    I realize that this is a pretty complicated and I really appreciate the time
    and effort you've given. Thank you.

  9. #9
    Zack Barresse
    Guest

    Re: Hyperlink more than one cell at a time?

    Yes, that is the range I was referring to. And as long as you have a
    defined folder for where these files are located, it doesn't matter if the
    Original Workbook is in the same file or not, just as long as it's defined.
    Let's try something like this ...

    1) Hit Alt + F11, to enter the Visual Basic Editor (VBE)
    2) Hit Ctrl + R, to open the Project Explorer (PE; if not already open)
    3) Select your file/project in the PE (filename is bolded) **
    4) Select Insert (menu) | Module
    5) Copy/paste the code below to the right (blank) pane (aka Code Pane)
    6) Hit Alt + Q, to return to Excel
    7) Save changes before anything else is done.

    This is assuming that your filenames are listed in your sheet like this ...

    Book1.xls
    Book2.xls
    Book3.xls
    etc.

    If not, we'll need to add that.

    Code to copy/paste:

    Option Explicit

    Sub InsertWorkbookHyperlinks()

    Dim oWb as workbook
    Dim oWs as worksheet
    Dim rngLoop as range, cell as range
    Dim str_oWbPath as string, str_Path as string

    Set oWb = ThisWorkbook '** may change if you decide on Personal.xls
    Set oWs = oWb.Sheets("Sheet1") 'Change to sheet with filenames in it
    Set rngLoop = oWs.Range("AA2:AA85") 'no need for $ signs, it's always
    absolute
    str_oWbPath = oWb.Path
    str_Path = "C:\YourPathHere\" 'Change your path to files, include the
    end backslash

    For Each cell in rngLoop
    cell.Hyperlinks.Delete 'just in case..
    cell.Hyperlinks.Add cell, strPath & cell.Value,
    TextToDisplay:="Friendly name here"
    'if you don't want a Friendly Name, you can omit that part and it
    will hyperlink the cell contents
    Next cell

    Set oWb = Nothing 'general cleanup
    Set oWs = Nothing
    Set rngLoop = Nothing
    Set cell = Nothing

    Msgbox "Complete!" 'tells you that it's done

    End Sub

    Just change those things that are commented above (comments show green in
    the VBE).
    Note: There are a few ways to call this. Depending on how you want it
    called will depend on how we proceed. So how would you like to run this
    routine? Do you want a button for it? A custom menu or toolbar for it?
    ** This line of instruction (3) can change, depending on the above
    statement. If you want this accessible to all workbooks, you would need to
    put this in your Personal.xls file, which will allow it to be accessible
    globally throughout Excel. If it's only [Original] Workbook specific, then
    the directions stand as-is.

  10. #10
    beginnerExceluser
    Guest

    Re: Hyperlink more than one cell at a time?

    Dave, thanks for the help, the simple answer worked the best for me. Macros
    are a little out of my league so far.

    "Dave Peterson" wrote:

    > I'd use a helper column of =hyperlink() formulas:
    >
    > Depending on what was in the original column:
    >
    > =hyperlink(a1)
    > or
    > =hyperlink("file:////" & a1)
    > or
    > =hyperlink("File:////" & "C:\my documents\pdffiles\ " & a1)
    > or
    > =hyperlink("File:////" & "C:\my documents\pdffiles\ " & a1 & ".pdf")
    >
    > And drag down.
    >
    > beginnerExceluser wrote:
    > >
    > > Is there a way to hyperlink multiple cells to multiple files without having
    > > to link one at a time?
    > >
    > > The cells contain the filename, I'd like to make each one a hyperlink so
    > > that when you click on it the native file opens.
    > >
    > > Thank you.

    > --
    >
    > Dave Peterson

Closed Thread