Alphabetical columns

  1. #1
    faustrocket
    Guest

    Alphabetical columns

    I would like to arrange a mailing list in alphabetical order. Is it possible?
    How? The list has already been typed so retyping it is not an option.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Carbondale CO
    faustrocket,
    Highlight the range (column or columns)you want to sort and
    go to DATA>SORT on the Menu bar (usually at the top)

    Also, I there is an abundance of information by typing "sorting" or "sort" into help.

    HTH
    Casey

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Alphabetical columns

    Retyping is ALWAYS an option<g>

    Show us a sample of your data and perhaps we can help.

    Are all components of the address in one cell or spread across several?

    Where are the names listed?

    What do you want alphabetized? Names, streets, cities, states?

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Alphabetical columns

    Hi "faustrocket",
    You can sort your list.
    1) select all cells Ctrl+A, but in Excel 2003 use Ctrl+Shift+SpaceBar instead
    as Ctrl+A was botched up (hope the change back in the next version).
    2) Then use Data, Sort the rest should be clear. One important thing
    to note is whether your columns have a header row or not.

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorting.htm

    Since you have not sorted before, suggest you create a copy of your worksheet
    and check out the results afterwards that phone numbers, and addresses still
    reside with the correct name.

    By selecting all cells (all cell on all columns on all rows), your associated data
    will move along with the sorted fields. Failure to make a selection i.e. a single
    cell may work in some cases but not in others. Excel will expand to the current
    region which stops at an empty column (and at an empty row), which would leave
    some of your data outside of the included area and really mess you up if you ever
    try to rely on using Current Region in Excel. Excel 2003 changed Ctrl+A to be
    the same as Ctrl+SHIFT+* which is the current region, and will guarantee
    destruction sooner or later of the integrity of your data.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...x2k.htm#foobar
    ---
    HTH,