Closed Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Percentage formula in Excel spreadsheet

  1. #1
    Rick
    Guest

    Percentage formula in Excel spreadsheet

    Hi, In my spreadsheet cell E14 adds up E2 - E14 and cell C14 adds up C2 -
    C14. In G14 I have put a formula to show the difference between E14 and C14
    as a Percentage ( formula for G14 is =SUM(E14-C14)/ABS(E14) ). When the
    Formula for G14 looks at E14 and C14 all it sees is a SUM formula to add up
    the column. Does anyone know how to solve this problem. Many thanks for
    looking. Rick

  2. #2
    Not sure I understand the problem; tell us what answer or error you are getting.

    Also, don't you mean you are summing C2:C13 in C14 and E2:E13 in E14?

    Oh, and you can get rid of the Sum - this is all you need:

    =(E14-C14)/ABS(E14)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Hi, In my spreadsheet cell E14 adds up E2 - E14 and cell C14 adds up C2 -
    C14. In G14 I have put a formula to show the difference between E14 and C14
    as a Percentage ( formula for G14 is =SUM(E14-C14)/ABS(E14) ). When the
    Formula for G14 looks at E14 and C14 all it sees is a SUM formula to add up
    the column. Does anyone know how to solve this problem. Many thanks for
    looking. Rick
    Last edited by Lilliabeth; 10-15-2005 at 04:24 PM.

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Percentage formula in Excel spreadsheet

    I just duplicated your description of your situation in XL2k, including copy
    and paste your G14 formula, and it all seems to work fine.........perhaps a
    typo on your spreadsheet?

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Rick
    Guest

    Re: Percentage formula in Excel spreadsheet

    Don't know what was wrong but I did the formula again and this time it
    worked, although the percentage answer was a couple of points out it is close
    enough. Thanks again. Rick

  5. #5
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Percentage formula in Excel spreadsheet

    Glad you got it working..........I make those kind of typo's all the
    time............remember, "The only people that don't make mistakes, are
    those that don't DO anything".........

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Don't know what was wrong but I did the formula again and this time it
    > worked, although the percentage answer was a couple of points out it is

    close
    > enough. Thanks again. Rick
    >
    > "CLR" wrote:
    >
    > > I just duplicated your description of your situation in XL2k, including

    copy
    > > and paste your G14 formula, and it all seems to work

    fine.........perhaps a
    > > typo on your spreadsheet?
    > >
    > > Vaya con Dios,
    > > Chuck, CABGx3
    > >

    > > "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hi, In my spreadsheet cell E14 adds up E2 - E14 and cell C14 adds up

    C2 -
    > > > C14. In G14 I have put a formula to show the difference between E14

    and
    > > C14
    > > > as a Percentage ( formula for G14 is =SUM(E14-C14)/ABS(E14) ).

    When
    > > the
    > > > Formula for G14 looks at E14 and C14 all it sees is a SUM formula to

    add
    > > up
    > > > the column. Does anyone know how to solve this problem. Many thanks

    for
    > > > looking. Rick

Closed Thread