how do i operate on the decimal portion of a number

  1. #1
    maintchief
    Guest

    how do i operate on the decimal portion of a number

    I am working on making a worktime calculator to ensure that i know what my
    employer should be entering. We clock in/out using 100ths of an hour
    (x.00-x.99).
    If a day's time (the fraction portion) falls .12 above a quarter hour (.00,
    ..25, .50, .75) it is rounded down to the lower quarter hour. If it is
    ..13-.24 above a quarter hour it is rounded up to the next higher quarter
    hour. I am having problems figuring out how to operate on the decimal
    portion and get the proper result (retaining the hour portion (or increasing
    it by 1) and the new quarter hour portion.

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: how do i operate on the decimal portion of a number

    One way:

    =ROUND(A1*4,0)/4

  3. #3
    maintchief
    Guest

    Re: how do i operate on the decimal portion of a number

    You folks are amazing. Thanks a lot.
    One further question: how do I access the referenced article?

  4. #4
    George Nicholson
    Guest

    Re: how do i operate on the decimal portion of a number

    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> "maintchief" <[email protected]> wrote:

    The "article" in question is your original post.

    HTH,
    --
    George Nicholson

    Remove 'Junk' from return address.