Pointer problem

  1. #1
    Ralphael1
    Guest

    Pointer problem

    My pointer has changed to a cross. I can no longer use the pull down
    cell numbering.
    A post of July 26, 2003 sounds lust like what is happening to me. Gord
    Dibben supplioed a fix; Tools>Options>Edit, check Allow drag and
    drop....however, the fix does not work for me.
    Anyone got a clue?

    Ralphael, the OLD one

  2. #2
    CyberTaz
    Guest

    RE: Pointer problem

    Hello-

    Both Drag & Drop and AutoFill are controlled by that one checkbox, so it
    seems that something more needs to be known in order to offer a suggestion.

    Which version of XL & Windows, what do you mean by "pull down cell
    numbering"? What exactly are you trying to do, & what is happening instead?

    Regards |:>)

  3. #3
    Ralphael1
    Guest

    Re: Pointer problem

    CyberTaz wrote:
    > Hello-
    >
    > Both Drag & Drop and AutoFill are controlled by that one checkbox, so it
    > seems that something more needs to be known in order to offer a suggestion.
    >
    > Which version of XL & Windows, what do you mean by "pull down cell
    > numbering"? What exactly are you trying to do, & what is happening instead?

    snip
    Hello Taz:
    Many, many thanks for the response, and more thanks for requesting more
    facts.
    Sorry my post was not understandable. Here is what I was doing:
    I was working with a spreadsheet trying to number each line of entry as
    1, 2, 3 etc. I put the 1 in row one and the 2 in row two and when I
    attempted to pick up the cross to automatic number the rest of the
    column I must have inadvertenly hit a key and a fat cross came up, not
    the skinny cross I needed. It seems to work like a cursor but I cannot
    drag down the numbers.
    The fat cross is also on all other worksheets. It is only in Excel.
    I am using Excel 2000 and Windows XP.

    On my knees, begging for a solution.

    Ralphael, the OLD one

  4. #4
    George Gee
    Guest

    Re: Pointer problem

    Ralphael1 wrote:
    > CyberTaz wrote:
    >> Hello-
    >>
    >> Both Drag & Drop and AutoFill are controlled by that one checkbox,
    >> so it seems that something more needs to be known in order to offer
    >> a suggestion.
    >>
    >> Which version of XL & Windows, what do you mean by "pull down cell
    >> numbering"? What exactly are you trying to do, & what is happening
    >> instead?
    >>

    > snip
    > Hello Taz:
    > Many, many thanks for the response, and more thanks for requesting
    > more facts.
    > Sorry my post was not understandable. Here is what I was doing:
    > I was working with a spreadsheet trying to number each line of entry
    > as 1, 2, 3 etc. I put the 1 in row one and the 2 in row two and when I
    > attempted to pick up the cross to automatic number the rest of the
    > column I must have inadvertenly hit a key and a fat cross came up, not
    > the skinny cross I needed. It seems to work like a cursor but I cannot
    > drag down the numbers.
    > The fat cross is also on all other worksheets. It is only in Excel.
    > I am using Excel 2000 and Windows XP.
    >
    > On my knees, begging for a solution.
    >
    > Ralphael, the OLD one

    Ralphael

    The 'pointer' in Excel *is* a 'white fat cross'.

    George Gee

  5. #5
    CyberTaz
    Guest

    Re: Pointer problem

    Don't panic

    The 'fat' white cross is what your pointer _should_ look like most of the
    time. If you want to use the Fill feature, move your pointer to the lower
    right corner of the selected cell(s). That is where the pointer will turn
    into the 'skinny' black cross, then you can click & drag to fill.

    BTW- The 'fat' cross is for simply selecting cells _without_ copying or
    filling based on the starting cell content. And, if you place your pointer on
    the edge of the selected cell the pointer will look like an arrow so you can
    drag (move) the content to another cell.

    HTH |:>)