extracting data from a spreadsheet by searching on columns

  1. #1
    Tom
    Guest

    extracting data from a spreadsheet by searching on columns

    I Have no idea on how to extract data from a excel spread sheets, I have
    extracted data using Quattro pro but that was centuries ago.... My Question
    is.....

    I have a spreadsheet that has 4 Columns of data, these columns are date,
    company, class and amount... I want to search the column "class" for a
    specific word such as "gas", each time the program finds the word " gas "copy
    all the information from the other columns into specific columns in a
    different spreadsheet. I know this will be quite simple for the majorty of
    you experts if not all, but I have know idea and I cannot find out how by
    using the "help" in the program..... any examples would be greatly
    appreciated...
    --
    Thank you, Tom

  2. #2
    gls858
    Guest

    Re: extracting data from a spreadsheet by searching on columns

    Tom wrote:
    > I Have no idea on how to extract data from a excel spread sheets, I have
    > extracted data using Quattro pro but that was centuries ago.... My Question
    > is.....
    >
    > I have a spreadsheet that has 4 Columns of data, these columns are date,
    > company, class and amount... I want to search the column "class" for a
    > specific word such as "gas", each time the program finds the word " gas "copy
    > all the information from the other columns into specific columns in a
    > different spreadsheet. I know this will be quite simple for the majorty of
    > you experts if not all, but I have know idea and I cannot find out how by
    > using the "help" in the program..... any examples would be greatly
    > appreciated...

    one way would be to use Autofilter... Data>Filter>Autofilter.
    This will put a down arrow on each col. Click the down arrow
    on the desired col and select the value. This will filter the data
    by that value. You can now cut and paste it to a new sheet.

    gls858

  3. #3
    Another way would be to group your search criteria. Put all you 'gas' in columns so that they are all together. Sort them. Then create a group list. Then use data validation to create a drop down list for your entries. Once selected, use vlookup to fill in the rest. Im seaeching for the web page that shows you how to do this. If you are like this idea, let me know.

  4. #4
    Found it. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal02.html
    This works like a charm.