How do I make values appear in another tab?

  1. #1
    Duncare
    Guest

    How do I make values appear in another tab?

    I am trying to set up an inspection database I need the values from other
    pages to appear when they go overdue in a specific cell. Please help!!!

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: How do I make values appear in another tab?

    Could you give a specific example? If I understand, you'd want 1/1/2005 to
    show as overdue on sheet 2, but it now resides only on sheet 1?
    Seems to me you could copy the cell from sheet 1. Go to sheet 2 and
    Edit-->Paste special-->Paste link. Then, make the font color white. Then,
    using conditional formatting to show the font as black or red or something
    when the value is less than today. Type: =today() into a cell. Then, go
    to your "special" cell and hit Format-->Conditional formatting. Cell Value
    is Less than (tab) then click on the cell with Today in it.
    ************
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Zack Barresse
    Guest

    Re: How do I make values appear in another tab?

    Hi there,

    I think maybe you are looking for something like this ...

    Assuming numeric:
    =IF(Sheet1!A1>40,"Overdue","Ok")

    Assuming date:
    =IF(Sheet1!A1>DATE(2005,10,30),"Overdue,"Ok")

    Assuming date 1 week from specified:
    =IF(Sheet1!A1>DATE(2005,10,30)+7,"Overdue,"Ok")

    Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack)
    To email, remove the NO SPAM. Please keep correspondence to the board, as
    to benefit others.

  4. #4
    Duncare
    Guest

    Re: How do I make values appear in another tab?

    I think you're on the right track. I have dates on one sheet and when they
    go overdue I'd like them to go onto a seperate sheet in a block of cells
    already set up for that particular inspection. I have multiple inspections I
    track and I'd like them to go in the correct inspection section. Any
    thoughts?

  5. #5
    Duncare
    Guest

    Re: How do I make values appear in another tab?

    I have over 250 inspection items and multiple inspections on each one I am
    trying to make them all appear in another sheet in a specific block
    designated for that inspection when the date is today or further back. I'd
    appreciate any help

  6. #6
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: How do I make values appear in another tab?

    Why another sheet, Duncare? Why not just leave it on "this sheet" and sort
    by due date? You can use conditional formatting on this sheet to put a red
    background on the overdue ones (or even those "due within the next week" or
    something). Better that you keep all your records on one sheet and just view
    it differently. For instance, how about a macro button that says "Due Now".
    You click it and you only see the stuff that's due. You got another macro
    button for "Show All" that sorts 'em the way you like 'em otherwise.
    Sorry...everyone seems to want to duplicate their data to "see" it
    differently, when Excel has all these cool features that make it unnecessary
    to have duplicate data. If you want some big-time help, email your workbook.
    I'll have a look.
    ************

  7. #7
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How do I make values appear in another tab?

    Hi

    I think Anne has given you very good advice regarding filtering data on your
    current sheet, with or without Conditional Formatting to highlight certain
    things.

    If you insist on moving the data to another sheet, then set up a second
    sheet with your criteria for selection, and use Advanced Filter to pull this
    data across.

    For help on setting up and using Advanced Filter, take a look at
    http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter02.html

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  8. #8
    Zack Barresse
    Guest

    Re: How do I make values appear in another tab?

    I agree with Roger and Anne. If you can leave it on that sheet, by all
    means. Often times in Excel, though, this is not the case. I am of the
    perspective that data entry should be done on a seperate location/sheet as
    opposed to cramming everything on one sheet (i.e. formatting, reporting,
    data entry, etc). Depending on how your workbook structure was setup (this
    is depending because I, myself, may take other courses of action dependent
    upon what I had) this may or may not be the case.

    You may want to think about just bringing over your data to another sheet

    =A1
    =A2
    etc.

    And then work on your data there as opposed to trying to fit it on one
    sheet. BUT, this also may not be the best for you, maybe it's more work
    than it's worth. That's a question only you can answer at this point.