Different Views of Same Worksheet

  1. #1

    Different Views of Same Worksheet

    I have a simple worksheet with organization names, director names,
    locations, etc.

    Is it possible to create different views of this same worksheet?

    For example, can I have the sheet2 tab show the same data sorted by
    director's name and sheet3 sorted by city?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: Different Views of Same Worksheet

    A problem with having several views of the same data is that it becomes
    out-of-date as soon as even a minor change is made to the source data.
    There is also a danger that the 'copy' data may be up-dated leaving you with
    two 'current' sets of data. If, as I suspect, your data is not extensive it
    would be better to have only one set of data and sort it as required.

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Different Views of Same Worksheet

    Bill,

    Can't the views use the same data, thus displaying any changes in any
    of the views?

    Steven

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Different Views of Same Worksheet

    Hi

    I think Bill is suggesting (quite correctly) that it is best to do
    everything on the source sheet - Sheet1 - and that you should avoid copying
    data to other sheets for creating different views.

    Yes, by all means sort your data by Director then Views>Custom>Add and give
    it a name. Repeat this for the other views you want.
    Then use Views>Custom>Show to display the relevant report.

    Or, you could record a macro as you carry out the sort each time, even
    hiding certain columns if required. You could then allocate these macros to
    buttons on the sheet rather than using views.

    Regards

    Roger Govier