need help with excell funtion

  1. #1
    omer
    Guest

    need help with excell funtion

    Hi,

    I have 2 worksheets.

    When I type 150 in worksheet #1, I want excell to lookup the value from
    worksheet #2 that correspond to 150 (and return those values in Worksheet
    #1). Since there is no 150 (in worksheet #2), I want it to give the
    corresponding value in column B and C by averaging (In this case the answer
    needs to be 15 and 47.5 respectively in column B and C) or if I enter 175
    then it should give me 17.5 and 53.75.

    Thanks very much for your help.

    Worksheet #2

    100 10 30
    200 20 60
    300 30 90

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: need help with excell funtion

    You'll have to say what algorithm you're wanting to use to interpolate
    (since you obviously don't want to simply average.

    15 would indicate a linear interpolation for column B with an entry of
    150, but a linear interpolation of column C would be 45, not 47.5.

    Likewise a linear interpolation of column C for an entry of 175 would be
    52.5, not 53.75.

  3. #3
    omer
    Guest

    Re: need help with excell funtion

    JE,

    How do you use the interpolate function in excell?

    Thx

  4. #4
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: need help with excell funtion

    There is no interpolate function in XL, though if you have two points,
    you can use TREND(). I commented because I couldn't understand how you
    got your sample results - they weren't straight linear interpolation.