Linking Cells in a row.

  1. #1
    Ben Register
    Guest

    Linking Cells in a row.

    Hello,
    I am trying to link several cells in a row, so that when I sort one
    column, the rest of the row of information stays with the sorted cell.

    Thank you...

    Ben Register

  2. #2
    Search33
    Guest

    RE: Linking Cells in a row.

    Hi Ben,
    All you need to do is highlight all the columns of the information. For
    example: If your "sort by" column is A and you want all information in
    columns B-F to stay with it, highlight A-F.

    Then you can highlight one cell in the group of cells that are highlighted.
    This shows up as a white cell within the highlighted area. press tab until
    the white box is in the column you want to sort by. Then just hit the sort
    button and all the rows will stay with the sort by column.

  3. #3
    gls858
    Guest

    Re: Linking Cells in a row.

    Search33 wrote:
    > Hi Ben,
    > All you need to do is highlight all the columns of the information. For
    > example: If your "sort by" column is A and you want all information in
    > columns B-F to stay with it, highlight A-F.
    >
    > Then you can highlight one cell in the group of cells that are highlighted.
    > This shows up as a white cell within the highlighted area. press tab until
    > the white box is in the column you want to sort by. Then just hit the sort
    > button and all the rows will stay with the sort by column.

    > "Ben Register" wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >> I am trying to link several cells in a row, so that when I sort one
    >> column, the rest of the row of information stays with the sorted cell.
    >>
    >> Thank you...
    >>
    >> Ben Register

    I usually sort all rows on my sheet so I find it handy
    just to click the square above row 1 and to the left of
    col A. This highlights the entire sheet. Then do the sort.

    gls858

  4. #4
    Ben Register
    Guest

    RE: Linking Cells in a row.

    Hello,
    Thanks for your reply. I tried your soultion, but I keep getting a message
    that "merged cells need to be of identical size." Am I going to have to
    un-merge my cells to get this to work?
    --
    Ben Register
    SGT, USA

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Linking Cells in a row.

    Ben

    Yes.

    You have run up against one of the disadvantages of using merged cells.

    They do not sort, filter, copy, paste and other operations I can't think of
    right now.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP