print column labels with one row of data at a time.

  1. #1
    gooba937
    Guest

    print column labels with one row of data at a time.

    I am a teacher. I have created my gradebook in excel. (I don't have
    access). I have 7 worksheets (one for each class that I teach). The
    worksheets are not exactly the same.

    I would like to be able to print out the top two rows (column labels) with
    each students data (row). This way the student can see row 1 (name of
    assignment), row 2 (points), their row (their personal data for each
    assignment).

    Any help??

  2. #2
    Naz
    Guest

    RE: print column labels with one row of data at a time.

    Go to
    File > Page Setup > Sheet

    Then in the "Rows to repeat at top" highlight the label headings row(s).

    _______________________
    Naz,
    London

  3. #3
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: print column labels with one row of data at a time.

    You may want to write a macro to do this. I'm new to VB so am
    cross-posting this in microsoft.public.excel.programming.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: print column labels with one row of data at a time.

    Naz,

    I think the question is how do you print one page for row 2, another for Row
    3, another for row 4, etc, for the entire class.

    Barb
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    gooba937
    Guest

    Re: print column labels with one row of data at a time.

    You are right. That is what I am trying to do keeping the same headers.

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: print column labels with one row of data at a time.

    Sub PrintData()
    Dim sh As Worksheet, rng As Range
    Dim numcols As Long
    Dim cell As Range
    For Each sh In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
    sh.Activate
    Set rng = sh.Range(sh.Cells(3, 1), _
    sh.Cells(3, 1).End(xlDown))
    numcols = sh.Cells(1, 256).End(xlToLeft).Column
    sh.PageSetup.PrintArea = rng.Resize(, _
    numcols).Address(1, 1, xlA1, True)
    sh.PageSetup.PrintTitleRows = _
    sh.Rows(1).Resize(2).Address(1, 1, xlA1, True)
    sh.PageSetup.Orientation = xlLandscape ' or xlPortrait
    rng.EntireRow.Hidden = True
    For Each cell In rng
    If cell.Row <> 3 Then
    cell.Offset(-1, 0).EntireRow.Hidden = True
    End If
    cell.EntireRow.Hidden = False
    sh.PrintPreview
    Next
    rng.EntireRow.Hidden = False
    Next

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:%[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Naz
    Guest

    Re: print column labels with one row of data at a time.

    Other than writing a macro you have two other options

    1) Use MS Word and do a mailmerge using your Excel list as the soource
    2) Create a simple form in Excel as follow

    Assume you have your sheet set up as follows

    A B C D E
    1 1 Name Project1 Project2
    2 2 John 75% 85%
    3 3 mark 65% 25%
    4 4 Lisa 55% 78%
    5 5 Rahul 80% 68%

    I have added the numbers in colum B.
    On a new sheet setup the first rows (labels) as you want them, in cell A1
    put 1
    then beneath them where you want the data enter this formula

    = Vlookup(A1,Sheet1!A$1$:$E$5,2,false)
    from the example above this will return the name of the student, in the next
    cell if you enter the same formula but replace the 2 with 3 it will return
    the result for project 1, a 4 will return the result for project 2.

    changing the 1 in cell A1 to 2 will return the data for the student 2 and
    so on.
    You could add a scroll bar and link it to A1 to make it more sophisticated.

    Of course you would need to change the above to suit your needs, but should
    do what you need.

    If you need any further help post back.

    --

    _______________________
    Naz,

  8. #8
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: print column labels with one row of data at a time.

    Assuming:
    Headings are in Rows 1 and 2
    Student names are in Col A

    Try this:
    •Select Cell A3
    •From the main menu: Select Insert>Page Break
    •Select Cell A4
    •Press the [F4] key (that will repeat the last action-->setting Page Break)
    •Continue selecting subsequent cells and pressing [F4] until no more student
    names

    •From the main menu: File>Page Setup
    •Click the Sheet tab
    -Set Rows to Repeat at top to: $1:$2
    -Set Print area to the rows with students
    -When done click [OK]

    •Click the Print Preview button or select File>Print Preview

    You should see Page 1 of (some number of page) and each page should only
    contain the headers and one student's record.

    Does that help?

    Ron

  9. #9
    gooba937
    Guest

    RE: print column labels with one row of data at a time.

    All of you have good suggestions. I am going to try the mail merge first
    because it seems the easiest. However, I am also going to try the other
    solutions because they seem that they may be better in the long run.

    Thank you for your time.

    Sarah