Dividing and Rounding

  1. #1

    Dividing and Rounding

    HELP!! I'm still kinda new to Excel and all the wonders of formulas...I need to create a formula that will take the dollar value of one cell, divide it by 1.0577, and then round the result to the next .05 cents. Any assitance would be greatly appreciated!

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Dividing and Rounding

    I know there's another way and Bob or Dave will provide it, I'm sure, but I
    can't remember it. I like to use MROUND, but you must have the Analysis
    Toolpak (Tools-->Addins...) checked. Try this:
    =MROUND(A1/1.0577,0.05)
    ************
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    "puppypants" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: Dividing and Rounding

    If your dollar value is in A1, =ROUND(20*A1/1.0577,0)/20.
    I took 'round' litterally; if you want to always round UP then:
    =CEILING(A1/1.0577,0.05)

  4. #4

    Smile

    Thanks to both of you - you saved the day!

  5. #5
    I have a second question - if I need to round either up or down, depending on how the original dollar value divides, is there another formula for this? I tried both th emround and round, and it seems as if it always rounds up to the next .05. Thanks!

  6. #6
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Dividing and Rounding

    If you use the formulas provided it will use 0.5 since that is what you
    asked for, if you want to round to the nearest cent use

    =ROUND(value,2)

    Peo Sjoblom

  7. #7

    Re: Dividing and Rounding

    puppypants wrote:
    > I have a second question - if I need to round either up or down,
    > depending on how the original dollar value divides, is there another
    > formula for this? I tried both th emround and round, and it seems as if
    > it always rounds up to the next .05.

    MROUND() seems to round to the "nearest" 0.05 in my version
    of Excel (2003). MROUND(1.0249,0.05) yields 1, whereas
    MROUND(1.025,0.05) yields 1.05. If that is not what you are
    talking about, please give a concrete example with both the
    current result and your preferred result.