how to do % of cells with data

  1. #1

    how to do % of cells with data

    My sheet looks like this:
    _ABCDEF____
    1x_x_______
    2x_x_______
    3x_x_______
    4x_x_______
    5x_________
    6x_________
    7x_________
    8x_________

    I want to know the % of cells in column C that have data in them, and display this % in E1. Column A tells us we have 8 rows, so E1 then would display 50%.

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: how to do % of cells with data

    Hi Matthew

    Try
    =COUNTIF(C1:C8,"=x")/COUNTIF(A1:A8,"=x")
    Format the cell as Percentage.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  3. #3
    Thanks for the quick reply!

    That works to my example, but not for the actual sheet. I get this error "#DIV/0!". The actual the cells contain names wich that formula doesn't seem to like. Column A contains names and column C contains ranks. I need to know the % of people with a rank. The number of people in column A will change from time to time.
    This is a little more difficult than I thought!

    In a nutshell:
    I need E1 to display the % of cells in column C that contain data as compared to column A.

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: how to do % of cells with data

    Hi Matthew

    then try
    =COUNTA(C1:C8)/COUNTA(A1:A8)

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  5. #5
    Dude that is awesome!!!
    Thanks!!

    I got one more for ya.
    What if the number of rows in column A changes? Let's say today there are 8 people on the list and 4 have ranks.. Tommorow there will be 20 and 15 of them will have ranks, and so on.

  6. #6
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: how to do % of cells with data

    Hi Matthew

    Just extend your range.
    You can make it whole columns if you wish
    =COUNTA(C:C)/COUNTA(A:A)

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  7. #7