Check book register template

  1. #1
    JM Hazel
    Guest

    Check book register template

    I just started using the Checkbook register template and love it. Until I
    need to add some more rows, now the addition and subtraction feature in the
    Balance column doesn't work.
    What did I do wrong?
    How can I continue to put information in added rows and continue to get the
    Balance feature to work.
    Thanks for your help
    --
    JM Hazel

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Check book register template

    When you insert a new, empty, row into a checkbook, you are usually
    introducing a blank cell into a column containing formulae. You need to
    continue the formulae through the blanks.

    1. find a blank cell with a formula above
    2. select the cell and touch CNTRL-D this will copy the formula from the
    cell above
    3. select the cell below the new (previously blank) cell and touch CNTRL-D
    again
    --
    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    Teacher_Becky
    Guest

    RE: Check book register template

    I'm having the same difficulty of finding a way to extend/lengthen my balance
    template. The Ctrl+D works great - I didn't know that - very handy. But it
    seems to only work for existing cells. I need more than the 12 rows allotted
    in this template. There doesn't seem to be any "insert rows" available. I'm
    using Excel 2002. What are we missing?
    Thanks for any more help on this.
    Becky

  4. #4
    Joyce
    Guest

    RE: Check book register template

    I like the Checkbook register template for basic use, too. Does anyone know
    how to add a formula to the column named "C" so that cleared checks can be
    checked off and my checkbook can be balanced automatically?
    --
    J.

  5. #5
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Check book register template

    Hi Joyce

    One way would be to add a column I called Cleared balance.
    Click on the column header for column H to select it, click the Format
    painter icon, then click column I, and that will get the appearance the
    same.
    In cell I6 enter =H6
    In cell I7 enter =$I$6-SUMPRODUCT(--($E$7:E7="x"),--($F$7:F7-$G$7:G7))
    and copy down.
    Then, if you put an x in column E (Labelled "C"), then column I will
    reflect the cleared balance down to that transaction.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Joyce
    Guest

    Re: Check book register template

    Thanks, it took a while to "translate" your formula into the template I had
    already modified to suit my needs but, it WORKED!!!
    --
    J.

  7. #7
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Check book register template

    Hi Joyce

    Thanks for the feedback. That's the problem when one doesn't know
    anything about the layout at the other end. I just worked off the
    standard template. Glad you managed to sort it all out though.