How can I avoid circular reference AND extra input

  1. #1
    maintchief
    Guest

    How can I avoid circular reference AND extra input

    My wife is a hotel breakfast hostess. Her boss wants her to keep a weekly
    inventory of breakfast food items. In trying to EXCEL it I run into a
    problem.
    Three columns: Previous Inventory, Additions/Subtractions(+/-), New Inventory.

    If I add +/- to Previous Inventory to get New Inventory I get a circular
    reference problem.
    To avoid this I figure she will have to input Previous Inventory (manually)
    from New Inventory and then input +/- to get a 'new' New Inventory. Is there
    a way to avoid the double manual input and avoid the circular reference
    problem?

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: How can I avoid circular reference AND extra input

    You shouldn't have a cirular reference. If the table is in columns A:C with
    the header in row 1 and the first data in row 2 then:
    A2 should have the starting inventory, B2 the first change (both are fixed
    values) and C2 should have the calculated new inventory: =A2+B2.
    In row three, the 'previous inventory' should be the prior row's 'new
    inventory.' So in A3, =C2. B3 has the next update. And C3 is calculated
    again as previous inventory + change: =A3+B3.
    Now you should be able to copy the formulas from row 3 down to each new row,
    only filling in the +/- in column B of each row, and with no circular
    references.

  3. #3
    maintchief
    Guest

    RE: How can I avoid circular reference AND extra input

    I gave it a try and as you already know it worked. However with 40
    inventoried items this growing for each item method becomes rather unwieldy.
    Can you think of a way to keep the calculations on one line for each item?

  4. #4
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: How can I avoid circular reference AND extra input

    You could add another column to indicate which product you're dealing with.
    So now your four columns are Product, Previous Inventory, +/-, and New
    Inventory.
    The previous inventory calculation, starting in B2 could be
    =sumif(a$1:a1,a2,c$1:c1). D2 would be =B2+C2. Only change now is that you'd
    need to 'prime' this with an initial entry to each item to 'add' the starting
    inventory; the sumif function calculates prior inventory by looking backward
    and totalling all the +/-'s for that product.