loan amortization

  1. #1
    Lizzie
    Guest

    loan amortization

    I have downloaded a loan amortization template which allows for extra
    payments, but only regular extra payments and the same payment amount each
    time for the life of the loan.
    I need a template (or god forbid a formula) that allows me to put in
    payments as they are made, put in skipped payments, calculates interest
    daily, and one which I can vary the interest rate. I know I would be pushing
    my luck, but any chance of adding a function which calculates all extra
    interest payments (for example if I needed to outline overdue payments
    seperate to overdue interest charges). I am not familiar with formulas (not
    stupid just inexperienced with excel) so please don't use any excel jargon to
    explain your answer if it is at all possible. Many thanks

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: loan amortization

    Lizzie,

    Open a new sheet, and in cells A1:F1, enter the following headers:

    A1: Date
    B1: Loan Amount
    C1: Interest Rate
    D1: Interest
    E1: Payment
    F1: Penalty

    Enter in:
    A2: starting date of loan
    B2: starting amount of loan
    C2: Annual percentage rate, entered as a percent
    D2: the formula =IPMT(C2/365,1,1,-B2)
    E2: leave blank
    F2: leave blank

    Enter in:

    A3: =A2+1
    B3: =B2+D2-E2+F2
    C3: =C2
    D3: =IPMT(C3/365,1,1,-B3)
    E3: leave blank
    F3: leave blank

    Copy A3:D3 down as far as you need: 365 rows for one year.

    Enter any payments into column E on the date that they are made, and any penalty in column F on the
    day that they are assessed.

    If your interest rate changes, simply type the new rate as a percent into column C on the date row
    that the change takes affect.

    That should give you a good start on your problem.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Lizzie
    Guest

    Re: loan amortization

    Many thanks Bernie - I will give it all a go. Thank you