Fitting a curve similar to capacitor charging current.

  1. #1
    mcgradys
    Guest

    Fitting a curve similar to capacitor charging current.

    Hi all,

    Newbie to this forum, but need some excel help. I have collected a
    bunch of data from an object as it heats up. The curve is very similar
    to a capacitor charging current curve. In my case, manually trying to
    approximate this curve, I come up with a formula of y=
    (rise)*(1-exp(-time))+ambient. Is there a way in excel to fit a curve
    like this or do I need an aftermarket solution? I need something that
    will use the data points and perform calculations to determine the
    curve.

    Thanks,

    Sean

    --
    mcgradys

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Fitting a curve similar to capacitor charging current.

    Sean,

    You can add a trendline to see what type of fit works best. When the chart is selected, used Chart
    / Add Trendline...
    then choose from logarithmic, exponential, polynominal, power series, etc. When you have selected a
    type of curve (depending on the quality of the fit), double click on the new trend line and then on
    the Options tab of the dialog that opens, select "Display equation on chart" and "Display R-squared
    value on Chart"

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    RE: Fitting a curve similar to capacitor charging current.

    You have several answers in the microsoft.public.excel.misc (General
    Questions) newsgroup to your separate post of this same question. Separately
    posting the same question in multiple newsgroups is generally frowned upon.

    Jerry

  4. #4
    Sorry, I looked and saw different websites, and thought they were similar but different forums. Won't happen again.

    Sean