Comparing two spreadsheets.

  1. #1

    Comparing two spreadsheets.

    I have two spreadsheets here, which hold a list of people and there addresses. However, the original sheet is different to the new sheet, as some people have been removed, changed address etc.

    I need to print out some address labels for all the 'new' or 'changed' people because I've already done a label list for the originial sheet.

    I cant find anything in excel to compare the sheets, someones telling me pivot tables but I dont think that would work? I've tried 'Excel Compare' which costs money before it will display ALL the changes, is there any other way around it?

    Regards,
    Josh

  2. #2
    HappyRinger
    Guest

    RE: Comparing two spreadsheets.

    In the second list, create a column labeled "already printed" or whatever,
    then in the column create a "lookup" function. I haven't done one in years,
    and it seems like in Excel 97, the lookup values had to be located on the
    same sheet, so you'd have to copy the names of the people who already have
    labels and paste them into the new sheet, out of the way. Put an x in the
    column to the right of each name that already received a label. (use copy
    down to do this quickly) Then, set the lookup function to look at the name in
    row 1, compare it to the original list, and return the "x" in the "already
    printed" column. Then you could run a filter before printing your labels, or
    if doing a merge for the labels, use that column in a query.

    Unless you're familiar with these various features, you'll have to read more
    about it in help to get more information.

    Good Luck!!!

  3. #3
    Iris
    Guest

    RE: Comparing two spreadsheets.

    Pull both worksheets into a seperate table in Access and manipulate it there.
    I do this all day long, moving data back and forth between Access and Excel
    because one has features the others doesn't.
    --
    Acknowledge and Move on.