Put Results in another cell

  1. #1
    DTTODGG
    Guest

    Put Results in another cell

    OK guys/gals -

    I know this MUST be simple, but I'm very new to excel.
    I'm trying to look at one column (A), if the work "Dist" or "Sale" is in the
    Cell, I would like to fill the next column (B) with "--", otherwise, leave
    the values alone in column B.

    =IF(OR(A1="Dist",A1="Sale"),B1="'--", otherwise leave value alone in B1

    Thanks for everything!

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    Does B1 currently contain a value? Workbook functions cannot change a value in another cell. It would take VBA code to do that. You could enter this formula in C1:

    =IF(OR(A1="Dist",A1="Sale"),"--",B1)

    Will return the contents of B1 unless A1="Dist" or "Sale"

    Then maybe Hide column B

    Good Luck.
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3
    DTTODGG
    Guest

    RE: Put Results in another cell

    To clarify, I would like my formula to reside in column (B), but there is
    other info already in that column. If the condition in column (A) is met,
    then (B) must change, otherwise not.

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Put Results in another cell

    Hi

    You were practically there. This formula is entered in B1
    =IF(OR(A1="Dist",A1="Sale"),"'--", "")

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  5. #5
    DTTODGG
    Guest

    Re: Put Results in another cell

    Thank-you.

    Yes, B1 contains a value. I used your suggestion.
    Now, is there a way to copy the format from column (B) to (C)?

    You guys are great!

  6. #6
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    Highlight Column B (click on the 'B' col header) press CTRL+C. click in C1, right click, select Paste Special... and choose "Formats", click OK.

    HTH.