add numbers but ignore text

  1. #1
    1vagrowr
    Guest

    add numbers but ignore text

    I think I posted this but I can't find it anywhere so here goes again:

    A1 displays "Week 1". I want B1 to display "Week 2" using a formula.

    I learn how to use Excel by fiddling around and posting here but this is
    somewhat inefficient. Besides taking classes, what's the best route to take?
    Books? Online?

    Thanks ahead of time.

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: add numbers but ignore text

    This is a very common problem. You want to do math on cells containing both
    text and numbers.

    Select your cells and pull-down:
    Format > Cells > Number > Custom and enter "Week "General

    The cell will show Week 1, but the formula bar will show 1.

    In cell B1 put =A1+1, etc.
    --
    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: add numbers but ignore text

    Excel makes this really simple... grab the fill handle (small black box at
    the very lower right corner) of cell A1. Drag to B1 (or as many columns as
    you wish to fill). Excel will increment the counter for you. If you find
    it's NOT incrementing and you want it to (or the opposite, it's incrementing
    where you don't want it to), hold the control key down while you click and
    drag.