keep cell blank if IF statement is False

  1. #1
    ruthslaughter
    Guest

    keep cell blank if IF statement is False

    I'm trying to keep a cell blank for the False component of an IF statement.
    If I leave it blank it comes back with False in the cell. I don't want
    anything in the False section of the IF statement. How do I do that?

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: keep cell blank if IF statement is False

    Put: "" as the value_if_false in the IF
    Example: =IF(expression, value_if_true , "")
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    noyb
    Guest

    Re: keep cell blank if IF statement is False

    If the cell evaluates to "" and then shows blank, but, another cell
    references the blank cell that second cell returns a #VALUE. Its OK if
    the cell evaluates to a number but not "". Is there a way around this?
    Thanks

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: keep cell blank if IF statement is False

    Post the formula that returns the value error, a value error occurs when you
    calculate with text like "" so you can replace it with 0 instead if you add
    it or you can use functions that ignores text like SUM or SUMIF

    Peo Sjoblom

    (No private emails please)

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: keep cell blank if IF statement is False

    As Peo mentioned (Thanks, Peo !),
    we could use: =IF(expression, value_if_true , 0) instead
    to avoid downstream calc issues.

    And to achieve a clean look, if desired, we could switch off
    the display of "extraneous" zeros in the sheet via:
    Tools > Options > View tab > Uncheck "Zero values" > OK
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  6. #6
    noyb
    Guest

    Re: keep cell blank if IF statement is False

    Thanks, I did not realize that =sum(a1,b1) when a1 = "" would not return
    #VALUE.