Formula for

  1. #1
    Andy JL
    Guest

    Formula for

    Hi.

    I want a formula to enter into a cell - if A1 is "M" then I want C1 to be
    £8.00 or
    if A1 is "C or V" then I want C1 to be £2.00. Is there a formula that I can
    enter in Cell C1 to make display either £2.00 or £8.00 depending on wat is in
    A1 -

    Thanks for any help

    Andy JL

  2. #2
    bernard liengme
    Guest

    Re: Formula for

    Use =IF(A1="M",8,IF(OR(A1="C",A1="V"),2,""))
    If A1 is not M,C or V you get a blank
    Use =IF(A1="M",8,IF(OR(A1="C",A1="V"),2,0))
    If A1 is not M,C or V you get a zero
    Not case sensitive
    best wishes
    Bernard

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Formula for

    Try this:

    C1: IF(A1="M",8,IF(OR(A1="C",A1="V"),2,"Invalid Entry")

    Also, if you aren't already, you might want to use Data Validation on Cell
    A1 to only allow M,C, or V.

    Does that help?

    Ron

  4. #4
    Andy JL
    Guest

    RE: Formula for

    Ron,

    Thank you very much for that prompt reply- it works very well. Now how could
    I quickly apply the same formula down the complete column - ie A1 to A15 for
    example with the result going in the corresponding row in column C.1-15

    Thank you again for your previous reply

    Andy JL

  5. #5
    bernard liengme
    Guest

    Re: Formula for

    If you copy IF(A1="M",8,IF(OR(A1="C",A1="V"),2,"Invalid Entry")
    down to C2 it will automatically change to
    IF(A2="M",8,IF(OR(A2="C",A2="V"),2,"Invalid Entry")

    does that answer question?

  6. #6
    Andy JL
    Guest

    Re: Formula for

    Bernard,
    No, what I'm trying to do is apply the same formula that applies to row 1
    down to row 15 for example -
    I.e if A1 is M the C1 is 8
    if A2 is M then C2 is * and so on.
    I tried to copy and paste the formula from C1 to cell C2 but it did not
    change.

    Andy JL

  7. #7
    George Gee
    Guest

    Re: Formula for

    Andy

    I think Bernard is trying to get you to think for yourself here.

    Select cell C1, move your cursor to the lower right of the cell.
    it will become a black cross, left-click and drag down to cell C15.

    The formulas should change to reflect the row number.

    George Gee

  8. #8
    Andy JL
    Guest

    Re: Formula for

    George,

    Thank you very much for that - I am very new to Excel and thus I would never
    have work that out unless you had helped me. You may have ralised that I'm
    new to all this by the number of posts that I have posted.One more bit of
    useful info I have gained.

    Thanks again

  9. #9
    George Gee
    Guest

    Re: Formula for

    Andy

    Ron's formula contains a couple of errors.
    It should be:
    =IF(A1="M",8,IF(OR(A1="C",A1="V"),2,"Invalid Entry"))

    Must begin with an equals sign, and note the extra bracket on the end.

    Try that in cell C1, and copy down to cell C15 as I have just posted.

    George Gee

  10. #10
    George Gee
    Guest

    Re: Formula for

    Andy

    The regular posters here are all geniuses, and tend to forget
    that this newsgroup is for people who actualy *are* new users!

    Happy to assist.

    George Gee

  11. #11
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    Re: Formula for

    Thanks for correcting that, George...
    I inadvertently left off the first and last characters when copy/pasting.
    I'll have to pay better attention. :\

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

  12. #12
    George Gee
    Guest

    Re: Formula for

    Ron

    No problem.

    George Gee

  13. #13
    Andy JL
    Guest

    Re: Formula for

    Bernard,
    To your formula below I want to add if A1=D then it = the word "DAY", I have
    been trying allways but can not get it to enter the word"DAY" even if i cut
    the formula down to If (A1="D",DAY ....... I can do it with a number instead
    of the "DAY" but I can not put it in to you formula. I think I have
    expalinded myself!!!

    Thanbk you

    Andy JL

  14. #14
    Adam Kroger
    Guest

    Re: Formula for

    Put " marks around DAY

    If (A1="D","DAY", <whatever>)

    Adam

  15. #15
    Andy JL
    Guest

    Re: Formula for

    Adam,

    Been trying most the afternoon without success , how do I Put -
    IF(A1="D","DAY", into =IF(A1="M",8,IF(OR(A1="C",A1="V"),2,""))

    I'm getting a very sore head and the wall is not looking so good either!!!!!!!

    Thank You

    Andy JL

  16. #16
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Formula for

    Hi Andy

    Try=IF(A1="D","DAY",IF(A1="M",8,IF(OR(A1="C",A1="V"),2,"")))
    I know a good plasterer!!!<bg>

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  17. #17
    Andy JL
    Guest

    Re: Formula for

    Roger,

    Thank you for that - works very well thank you, sorry for the delay in
    replying ,

    Can you assist me with this - I currently have worked out a formula -
    =IF(C24="-",100,IF(OR(C24="C",C24="M",C24="V"),D24*E24)) this I'm putting in
    Column F, but when there is nothing in Columns C,D,or E i get the word FALSE
    in the column F row, can you shed some light on this, Have tried putting ,"0"
    and "" etc at the end but withour any joy.
    I( would be greatful of any help PLEASE.

    Andy JL

  18. #18
    George Gee
    Guest

    Re: Formula for

    Andy

    What do you want F24 to display, when C,D & E are blank?

    Try: =IF(C24="-",100,IF(OR(C24="C",C24="M",C24="V"),D24*E24,""))

    George Gee

  19. #19
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Formula for

    Hi Andy

    One way
    =IF(ISBLANK(C24),"",IF(C24="-",100,IF(OR(C24="C",C24="M",C24="V"),D24*E24)))

    This will return nothing if C24 is empty,
    if c24 is something but not any of the tested values, but D24 and E24 are
    blank, then it would return 0

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  20. #20
    Andy JL
    Guest

    Re: Formula for

    Thank you one and all for all the help that you have given me over the last
    few days, as a result I have gained some very useful knowledge of formulas,
    and I gave an all siging and dancing Invoice for my sons carpet fitting work.

    Thanks agian,
    Andy JL

  21. #21
    Roger Govier