MINUS SIGNS REMOVAL

  1. #1
    Rebecca
    Guest

    MINUS SIGNS REMOVAL

    Greetings. I am using EXCEL 2003, and I am still struggling. I have a
    column containing numbers, and some of the numbers (after calculations from
    previous columns) have minus signs in front of them (e.g., 8, 6, -7, 4, -9,
    3, -1, etc). I want to remove the minus signs from the numbers, and sort the
    numbers so that is what they are -- just numbers. How do I do this? Thanks.

  2. #2

    Re: MINUS SIGNS REMOVAL

    Select the range
    edit|Replace
    what: - (minus)
    with: (leave blank)
    replace all

    If you really want to keep the values as-is, you can use a helper column of
    cells with formulas like:

    =abs(a1)

    and drag down.

    then select all the columns in the range to sort and sort by that helper column.

  3. #3
    Stephen Biggins
    Guest

    RE: MINUS SIGNS REMOVAL

    Assuming that the column containing the values with minus signs is column D,
    and that row 1 contains headings.

    In cell E2, enter the following worksheet function
    =ABS(D2)

    This returns the absolute value, removing - signs.
    http://groups.msn.com/HighlandsVillage where Villagers help each other