[SOLVED] COUNTA Formula not working

  1. #1
    Scudo
    Guest

    [SOLVED] COUNTA Formula not working

    I have the following in cell A60 It is used to add the amount of entries in
    the column A. It used to give me a total in A60 but for some reason now
    gives me the formula. have I done something I shouldnt have?

    =COUNTA(A3:A59)

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: COUNTA Formula not working

    The cell was formatted as text before you entered the formula.
    Format as General and re-enter the formula (F2, ENTER)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: COUNTA Formula not working

    check this thread: probably formatted as text, but other possibilities exist
    http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...oglegroups.com

  4. #4
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: COUNTA Formula not working

    Scudo, is this the only formula on the sheet? or are all the formulas this
    way, try Ctrl+`, next to the number 1 key and see if that changes it back,
    or maybe the cell may have somehow chaged to text, select the cell and see,
    if it is change the formatting back to general, or a number, select the cell
    press F2 then enter and see if that will fix it

    --
    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

  5. #5
    Scudo
    Guest

    Re: COUNTA Formula not working

    Thanks for reply,

    I re formatted the cell A60 as `general` but it is still displaying the
    formula rather than the result.

    news:#[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: COUNTA Formula not working

    did you re-enter the formula? and try the other suggestions you got?

  7. #7
    Scudo
    Guest

    Re: COUNTA Formula not working

    Yes I tried that and also (tools, option, calculation, automatic/manual)
    in case I had changed something in there.
    When I change to `general` and re enter the formula (it displays the
    formula) I then go back to format it is still formatted for general so it
    doesnt appear to be defaulting back to text.

  8. #8
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: COUNTA Formula not working

    especially this one

    try Ctrl+`,

  9. #9
    Linda
    Guest

    RE: COUNTA Formula not working

    Hi,

    Try Tools-Options-View Tab. Look under Window Options on that tab. Is the
    check box for formulas selected? If so, deselect.
    --
    Linda