formula within same cell

  1. #1
    Mike
    Guest

    formula within same cell

    I don't have to much experience in Excel but I need to find out how to run a
    formula in a specific cell, for example if I enter 100.00 in A1 then come
    back and want to enter 250.00 then press enter can I get it to answer 350.00?

    Mike

  2. #2
    StephenBiggins
    Guest

    RE: formula within same cell

    To show 350 as the answer, type the following, followed by enter
    =100+250

    If you will be doing a lot of this, you might consider entering 100 in cell
    A1, 250 in cell A2 and =SUM(A1:A3) in cell A4 (leaving cell A3 for an
    additional value).

    Stephen
    http://groups.msn.com/HighlandsVillage where Villagers help each other

  3. #3
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: formula within same cell

    Mike, have a look here for a way to do it,

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html

    --
    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Mike
    Guest

    Re: formula within same cell

    Thank you Paul. Unfortunaly I'm looking for somthing more simple, I guess I
    didn't explain myself, what I need to find out is if XL can accumulate a
    balance on a cell. I have a monthly report that I need to enter an amount on
    a daily basis and from different persons and instead of adding it in a
    calculator I wonder if XL could do the math for me, eg. in cell A1 I enter an
    amount today then tomorrow I enter a different number on the same cell will
    XL add it up to the number enter the previous date?

  5. #5
    Mike
    Guest

    RE: formula within same cell

    Thank you Stephen, but I just want it all on the same cell if possible.
    Otherwise I would use the AutoZum.

  6. #6
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: formula within same cell

    It won't get any more simple than that, if you want to enter a value in A1
    and have it accumulate you need a worksheet event macro from the link Paul
    posted (single cell accumulator)

    Peo Sjoblom

    (No private emails please)

  7. #7
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: formula within same cell

    Mike, not with out useing some VBA like the link I gave you, but why not
    just put you numbers in and let excel add them for you, put your numbers on
    column A and put =SUM(A:A) in B1? this way you will have a record of the
    numbers if you need to go back and check them

  8. #8
    Mike
    Guest

    Re: formula within same cell

    Paul, I just did that and it worked great I actually used it like this
    =SUM(10,20,50,), and like you said it keeps the numbers and it goes up to 30
    entries.

    Thanks,
    Mike

  9. #9
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: formula within same cell

    Mike, if that works for you great, but looks like it would be easier to just
    put the number in a column instead of having to edit the formula and put a ,
    between each number

  10. #10
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: formula within same cell

    Mike

    If you "must" have an accumulator cell, check this thread out before
    proceeding.

    http://snipurl.com/8e64

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  11. #11