[SOLVED] Change number format from text to number?

  1. #1
    Scot
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Change number format from text to number?

    Using Excel 2002, WinXP
    I was given a spreadsheet with a very long column of numbers. Each cell
    displays the little green mark in the upper left corner. The dropdown arrow
    shows "number stored as text." When I then choose "convert to number" the
    number converts from text to number, which is what I want. But I don't have
    time to manually change each of the 6,000+ cells. If I highlight several
    cells, and do Format/Cells/Number/Number, the green mark in the upper left
    corner remains and the numbers in the cells are NOT converted to numbers but
    remain as text.

    Is there a way to globally change all numbers from text to number without
    having to manually do it one cell at a time?

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Change number format from text to number?

    Scot

    Format a blank cell as General.

    Copy that cell using Edit>Copy.

    Select your column of numbers and Edit>Paste Special>Add>OK>Esc.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  3. #3
    gls858

    Scot wrote:
    > Using Excel 2002, WinXP
    > I was given a spreadsheet with a very long column of numbers. Each cell
    > displays the little green mark in the upper left corner. The dropdown arrow
    > shows "number stored as text." When I then choose "convert to number" the
    > number converts from text to number, which is what I want. But I don't have
    > time to manually change each of the 6,000+ cells. If I highlight several
    > cells, and do Format/Cells/Number/Number, the green mark in the upper left
    > corner remains and the numbers in the cells are NOT converted to numbers but
    > remain as text.
    >
    > Is there a way to globally change all numbers from text to number without
    > having to manually do it one cell at a time?
    >
    > Thanks,

    I use a free tool called ASAP utilities. I find it very useful.
    It does dozens of everyday functions easily.

    http://www.asap-utilities.com/

    Standard disclaimer no association, no profit from yada yada.

    gls858