Using names to represent values

  1. #1

    Using names to represent values

    I am trying to get names to represent values, e.g.
    Bill=3
    bob=4
    Stan=22
    so that after I type a bunch of names into the cells, the view is still
    | Bill | Bob | Stan |
    but that I can total them so it would look like this
    | Bill | Bob | Stan | 29 |

    is this possible and how? I have been monkeying with insert define name for the past hour and I am going crazy

    I want the names to show in the cells so that readility remains, the numbers associated with particular names are not important and are defined elsewhere but I have a ton to manipulate mathematically adn it would be so much simpler if excel could do it for me. Thanks.
    Last edited by Popke17; 12-06-2005 at 02:57 PM.

  2. #2
    Bill Kuunders
    Guest

    Re: Using names to represent values

    One way
    Set up a table of the names and their values.

    use a vlookup formula to select the number depending on the name entered.
    put these vlookup formula's in hidden columns to the right of your sum
    answer
    sum the vlookup cells

    example
    =VLOOKUP(C1,$R$1:$S3,2,0)

    where C1 is the cell with a name
    $R$1:$S$3 is the table
    2 indicates to lookup value in the second column of the table.

    so you'll get

    A1 B1 C1 D1 E1
    F1
    bill bob sum(E1:G1) =VLOOKUP(A1,$R$1:$S3,2,0)
    =VLOOKUP(B1,$R$1:$S3,2,0) etc,,

    --
    Greetings from New Zealand
    Bill K

    "Popke17" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Kleev
    Guest

    Re: Using names to represent values

    Another way, not sure if this is really usable but ...
    First I copied your data like so:
    Bill 3
    bob 4
    Stan 22
    Then I did a Insert/Name/Create and answered left column (which it had
    already filled in for me as I had selected the above range prior to issuing
    the command. This created the name ranges such that Bill referred to the
    cell in which the number 3 resides. Then I tried the following formula which
    is probably not what you want:
    =+Bill+bob+Stan
    and it worked, but then I tried the following formula which may be what you
    want, but might become unwieldy if you have too many names that you are
    trying to add:
    =INDIRECT(E12)+INDIRECT(E13)+INDIRECT(E14)
    Of course e12 through e14 are where the 3 names reside (bill, bob, and stan.)