Can numbers be typed to automatically be negative in cells?

  1. #1
    finnplan
    Guest

    Can numbers be typed to automatically be negative in cells?

    I am a new excel user.

    I am doing a basic spread sheet. I would like to have cells formated so
    that when I type in a number it automatically is negative and appears red.
    Is this possible. I have not been able to ask "help" correctly to find it.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Can numbers be typed to automatically be negative in cells?

    finn

    Not without resorting to some event code to turn the numbers negative.

    On Error GoTo ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A1:D100")) Is Nothing Then
    With Target
    If .Value <> "" Then
    .Value = .Value * -1
    .NumberFormat = "0.00_);[Red](0.00)"
    End If
    End With
    End If
    ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    End Sub

    This is worksheet event code.

    Right-click on the sheet tab and "View Code". Copy/paste into that module.

    NOTE: the Me.Range can be altered to what you wish.

    Maybe a simpler way would be to not use the event code and just enter the
    numbers as positive then put -1 in an empty cell. Copy that cell, select your
    range of numbers and Paste Special>Multiply>OK>Esc.

    Format to negative red using Format>Cells>Number>Number>Negative numbers.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP