How do I set a formula if A1 is "a" then C1 is 3?

  1. #1
    Karen
    Guest

    How do I set a formula if A1 is "a" then C1 is 3?

    I'm wanting to set a formula so that if cell A1 is "a" then C1 would be 3 and
    if A1 is "b" then C1 would be 5.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Houston, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    I'm wanting to set a formula so that if cell A1 is "a" then C1 would be 3 and
    if A1 is "b" then C1 would be 5.
    Enter this formula in Cell C1:

    =if(A1="a",3,if(A1="b",5,""))

    NOTE: for any other entry in Cell A1, Cell C1 will be blank.

    Regards.
    BenjieLop
    Houston, TX

  3. #3
    Search33
    Guest

    RE: How do I set a formula if A1 is "a" then C1 is 3?

    =IF(A1="a",3,IF(A1="b",5,"Whatever you want if neither are true"))

  4. #4
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: How do I set a formula if A1 is "a" then C1 is 3?

    Put this in C1:

    =IF(A1="a",3,IF(A1="b","5",""))

  5. #5
    Karen
    Guest

    RE: How do I set a formula if A1 is "a" then C1 is 3?

    Thank you so much!!

  6. #6
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: How do I set a formula if A1 is "a" then C1 is 3?

    To return a zero when criteria is not met, try:

    =(A1="A")*3+(A1="B")*5

    --

    HTH,

    RD