Zero values displaying as "-"

  1. #1
    Uncle Ben
    Guest

    Zero values displaying as "-"

    Hi everyone. I have created a new custom number format that replaces 0
    values with a dash (-).

    But there's a problem with this. In cases where the zero value is generated
    from a formula that takes the value in one cell and subtracts the value in
    another; and the result is 0, the 0 is in brackets (0).

    I've tried everything under the sun, but no can do! Any clues anyone? TIA!

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Zero values displaying as "-"

    Are you sure it's zero, copy it to another call and paste special as values
    and see what you get, byw how does your custom format look like copied from
    the format windows>custom?

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Zero values displaying as "-"

    Maybe your zero is not zero but some small number greater than 0. Increase
    the decimal places on it and check.

    RP

  4. #4
    Uncle Ben
    Guest

    Re: Zero values displaying as "-"

    "Peo Sjoblom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > Are you sure it's zero, copy it to another call and paste special as

    values
    > and see what you get, byw how does your custom format look like copied

    from
    > the format windows>custom?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Peo Sjoblom

    You're absolutely right, it's not zero, I have cents in there. The cells
    are formatted to 0 decimals - so even though the sum is 0, Excel gives me
    (0) because of the hidden decimals. How do I get cells where the decimal
    value is >-0.50 to display as "-"?

  5. #5
    Uncle Ben
    Guest

    Re: Zero values displaying as "-"

    Here is the formatting I'm currently using:

    _(* #,##0_);_(* (#,##0);_(* "-"_);_(@_)

    This allows me to display all zero amount cells as "-" instead of 0's.

    The problem I have is for cells that contains small negative balances under
    ..50 - those cells do not format to "-" but to (0). So the report looks
    silly, with -'s on all zero+'s and (0) on all zero-'s.

    Is there a cure for this grand malaise? TIA.

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Zero values displaying as "-"

    Round it to 0 decimal places.

    RP

  7. #7
    Uncle Ben
    Guest

    Re: Zero values displaying as "-"

    > Round it to 0 decimal places.
    >
    > --

    No, that's won't work, Bob, because the underlying numbers do carry two
    decimal places. If I round to 0 decimal places, I'll end up with cents
    elimination differences throughout the report. So because the input to the
    spreadsheet is to two decimal places, I don't think I have much choice but
    to round to 2 decimal places, but format to 0 decimal places (because for
    reporting purposes, I don't want to see decimals.) Everything works 100%,
    except for those -Zeros... I guess one quick way is just to go in and
    override... but there has to be an easier way. I've been playing with the
    IF function, that I could incorporate in the formula ... but I'm not quite
    there yet. But thanks ... any other ideas?

  8. #8
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Zero values displaying as "-"

    There is an easier way but make sure you remember to turn this off when you
    are not using this sheet, if you format for zero decimals you can go to
    tools>options>calculation and check precision as displayed

  9. #9
    Uncle Ben
    Guest

    Re: Zero values displaying as "-"

    > Round it to 0 decimal places.
    >
    > --
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > RP

    Well Bob, I retract what I said earlier. Even though I was correct in my
    response about rounding, your suggestion worked on that one column of the
    spreadsheet where I was having this (0)'s showing. Even though the entire
    spreadsheet is rounded to 2 decimal places, with 0 decimal on formatting,
    that last column shows properly if I round it to 0 decimal places ... And
    that should be fine, because all the numbers making up that total column
    have been rounded to 2 decimal places. Thanks for your help and everyone
    else who have come to the rescue. Much appreciated.

    Regards,

    Uncle Ben