HOW ?Excel chart auto insert /populate a code based on date

  1. #1
    MikeR-Oz
    Guest

    HOW ?Excel chart auto insert /populate a code based on date

    I have a excel spreadsheet that has a front sheet with a date that I type in
    .. this then is populate across the other work sheets within the spreadsheet,
    such that formula ='Front Sheet'!D6+3 being worksheets Monday , Tuesday etc
    hence the first date on 'Front Sheet' and the add (number) for the week days.

    NOW I would lie to put into another cell a code tha always starts PF- and
    the rest of it PF-121201 being the day, month and then numbers01 and upwards
    to about 15 across the worksheets. Now I would like to get the numerical
    part 121201to be partly derived from the initial date on the 'front sheet' .
    Can this be done to the cell - how do I refernce it?

    Mike

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: HOW ?Excel chart auto insert /populate a code based on date

    Just venturing some guesses here,
    maybe something along these lines might be a start ..

    In sheet: Front Sheet
    we have a date in D6: 12-Dec-2005

    Then in another sheet, say Sheet2:
    we could put in say, A2:
    ="PF-"&TEXT('Front Sheet'!$D$6,"ddmm")&TEXT(ROW(A1),"00")
    and copy A2 down, which yields:

    PF-121201
    PF-121202
    PF-121203
    PF-121204
    etc

    Or, if we wanted to increment it copying across,
    we could put in say B1:
    ="PF-"&TEXT('Front Sheet'!$D$6,"ddmm")&TEXT(COLUMN(A1),"00")
    and copy B1 across

    Formula above is the same as the preceding
    except that COLUMN(A1) replaces ROW(A1)
    (for incrementing the last 2 digits as we copy across)
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    "MikeR-Oz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a excel spreadsheet that has a front sheet with a date that I type

    in
    > . this then is populate across the other work sheets within the

    spreadsheet,
    > such that formula ='Front Sheet'!D6+3 being worksheets Monday , Tuesday

    etc
    > hence the first date on 'Front Sheet' and the add (number) for the week

    days.

    > NOW I would lie to put into another cell a code tha always starts PF- and
    > the rest of it PF-121201 being the day, month and then numbers01 and

    upwards
    > to about 15 across the worksheets. Now I would like to get the numerical
    > part 121201to be partly derived from the initial date on the 'front sheet'

    ..

  3. #3
    MikeR-Oz
    Guest

    Re: HOW ?Excel chart auto insert /populate a code based on date

    Max, Thats great - a major step forward for for me. Now, can it instead of
    copying down or across and having it incrimentally add the next number or be
    individually setup as a template with each cell formula will >> say cell A1
    has the formula to give the PF-231200 and then cell A4 will populate or have
    formula that gives PF-231201 and cell A6 PF-231203 etc .

    Mike

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: HOW ?Excel chart auto insert /populate a code based on date

    Try this amended set-up ..

    In sheet: Front Sheet, as before,
    we have a reference date in D6: 23-Dec-2005 (say)

    In Sheet2,
    we could put in A1:
    =IF('Front Sheet'!D6="","","PF-"&TEXT('Front Sheet'!$D$6,"ddmm")&"00")

    A1 will return: PF-231200
    (If the date in 'Front Sheet'!D6 is cleared, A1 will appear blank)

    And then put in A4 :
    =IF($A$1="","",LEFT($A$1,LEN($A$1)-2)&TEXT(ROW(A1),"00"))Copy A4 down to say
    A6

    If A1 returns: PF-231200, A4:A6 will return:

    PF-231201
    PF-231202
    PF-231203

    And if the date in 'Front Sheet'!D6 is cleared, A1 will be "blank", and
    A4:A6 will also appear "blank"
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: HOW ?Excel chart auto insert /populate a code based on date

    Oops, this part below should have appeared in the post as:

    > .. And then put in A4 :
    > =IF($A$1="","",LEFT($A$1,LEN($A$1)-2)&TEXT(ROW(A1),"00"))
    > Copy A4 down to say A6

    (The last line got wrapped around to the formula line)
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  6. #6
    MikeR-Oz
    Guest

    Re: HOW ?Excel chart auto insert /populate a code based on date

    Thanks Max, Works a treat. Appreciate your time end effort - have a great
    Chrissy / New Year.
    Cheers
    Mike

  7. #7
    Max
    Guest

    Re: HOW ?Excel chart auto insert /populate a code based on date

    Glad to hear that, Mike !
    Thanks for feedback and wishes ..
    --
    Rgds