[SOLVED] Using the Text Formula

  1. #1
    capnhud
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Using the Text Formula

    I have a range of cells that I want to apply the =LOWER function to but each
    time that I go to make the text lowercase the text disappears from the cell.
    I was wondering if someone could tell me what I was possibly doing wrong?

  2. #2
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: Using the Text Formula

    capnhud, with the text you want to change in column A, in B1 put =LOWER(A1)
    and copy down

    --
    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Using the Text Formula

    Enter the formula in adjacent empty cell.
    You're probably trying to do it in the same cell as the source text.

    For example, assuming the source range is in A1 down
    Enter in B1: =LOWER(A1)
    Copy B1 down
    Col B will return the required results

    If needed, we could copy col B
    and do a paste special > check "values" > ok
    to overwrite col A. And then delete col B
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  4. #4
    capnhud
    Guest

    Re: Using the Text Formula

    And if i wish to put other information in column B will that information be
    affected by the formula

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Using the Text Formula

    "capnhud" wrote:
    > And if i wish to put other information in column B
    > will that information be affected by the formula

    Of course! <g>
    A cell can only contain a value or a formula at any one time.

    If needed, we could copy the formula returns in col B
    and do a paste special > check "values" > ok
    to overwrite col A. And then just delete / clear col B
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  6. #6
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: Using the Text Formula

    capnhud, as max said yes it will be affected, but you can put the formula in
    any column if you need other stuff in column B, or you could use something
    like this, =LOWER(A1) & " Other Stuff" to show what's in A1 in lower case
    and Other Stuff with it, if you need any more help on this post back with
    more details on what your data looks like and what you want to do.

  7. #7
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Using the Text Formula

    ASAP Utilities, a free Excel Add-in, has a feature which will allow you to
    change the case of text within the cell where the text is located. It's
    available at www.asap-utilities.com

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3