Closed Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

write macro to input data

  1. #1
    Macro Help
    Guest

    write macro to input data

    I am new at Excel. I want to write a small macro, four or five columns where
    I can go to column 1 and input data, then go to column 2 and input date,
    etc., then when I get to the end of the fifth column have it return and go to
    add more data in column 1. Any help will be appreciated from the experts
    in Excel. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: write macro to input data

    one way to do this is to use a worksheet_change event
    right click sheet tab>view code>copy/paste this>modify to suit>SAVE

    Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
    If Target.Row > 5 And Target.Column = 8 Then ActiveCell.Offset(1, -6).Select

    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    [email protected]
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Cool Entering Data

    This is a very basic method, the way I started, before getting into UserForms etc., but it'll get you familiar with some code.
    Let's assume, you have some data in columns A thru E (5 columns).
    Before we start, select the "B" column label at the top,'
    'the entire column will become highlighted.'
    Right click / Format Cells / (Select the Number Tab) / Choose DATE
    This just ensures that whatever data goes into column B will be Date info.
    Hope this helps you some. I know VBA can be a little initimidating when you first get into it.
    Good Luck in your efforts.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by VBAvirgin; 12-29-2005 at 07:50 PM.

  4. #4

    Re: write macro to input data

    How about not using a macro?

    Data|form might be enough???

    And if you want to try creating your own userform, Debra Dalgleish has some
    getstarted instructions at:
    http://contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html

  5. #5
    I whole-heartedly agree with D. Peterson's comments. Userforms are definitely the neatest and cleanest way to go.

    I was just imagining, from your initial question...(asking for a macro)...that you may be familiar with some older or different programs and the macros used within them, such as Lotus 123, or CA SuperCalc, or QuattroPro (which is what I used last, up until September of 2004).
    I'm by no means a programmer of any sorts, but I have now created userforms, along with my macros, and I'm at a fairly comfortable level, although I'll be the first to admit there's so much farther to go, but my point is, the learning curve is only as difficult as you make it, so hang in there.
    It will take some time getting your head around VBA, but I'm sure you'll do it.

    A big help to me has been: "Excel VBA Programming for Dummies"...John Walkenbach. Wiley Publishing.
    That...and the help, such as I have received, from the experts on this forum.
    Good Luck.
    Last edited by VBAvirgin; 12-29-2005 at 08:13 PM.

Closed Thread