extracting totals from within a spreadsheet

  1. #1
    Jovetta
    Guest

    extracting totals from within a spreadsheet

    I need to know how to take different information from within a spreadsheet
    --where two conditions/catogories must apply so that a third column where i
    have inputed hours, will total for those conditions only... can anyone help?

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: extracting totals from within a spreadsheet

    Please spell out what you want we are not mind readers
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: extracting totals from within a spreadsheet

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A50="x"),--(B2:B50="y"),C2:C50)

    will sum C2;C50 where A2:A50 is "x" AND B2:B50 is "y"

    adapt to fit your requirements

    if you have excel hours you might want to use a custom format of [hh]:mm or
    else it will start anew after 24:00

    Peo Sjoblom

  4. #4
    Jovetta
    Guest

    Re: extracting totals from within a spreadsheet

    I am still confused.

    i will try to explain it this way.
    If column C is true
    and column E is true
    and column D is true
    then i want the total of column C and and a total for column D

    Does that help?

  5. #5
    LeAnne
    Guest

    Re: extracting totals from within a spreadsheet

    Jovetta,

    See inline.

    Jovetta wrote:
    > I am still confused.
    >
    > i will try to explain it this way.
    > If column C is true
    > and column E is true
    > and column D is true,

    If I understand you correctly (& I'm not at all sure that I do), you're
    trying to apply some kind of conditional formula: IF(<some condition is
    true>, <value or action if true>, <value or action if false>).
    It appears that you have multiple conditions to apply. If this is
    correct, look up IF(), AND(), and OR()functions in Help. Use IF(AND())
    if ALL conditions must be met; use IF(OR()) if ANY condition may be met.

    > then i want the total of column C and and a total for column D

    This is confusing. Do you mean you want to SUM the amount in each
    column? Or sum the totals from each column? Or most probably, do you
    want to sum the amount in column C, row x, plus the amount in column D,
    row x and show the results in, say, column Q, row x?

    I suspect this is an action that you will want to perform multiple
    times, varying the criteria each time. In that case, you might want to
    link your spreadsheet to MS Access and build your query there, or use
    the MS Query Wizard (PS. MS Query comes bundled with Excel as an
    optional feature; you may need to install it).

    LeAnne