Substracting from a column

  1. #1

    Substracting from a column

    Hi,

    I have a column of numbers and I want to substract a certain value from every cell in that column and create a new column with new set of numbers.
    How do I do that?

    Thanks,

    Venus

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Substracting from a column

    Hi Venus

    Place the number you wish to subtract in a blank cell. Copy that cell.
    Mark the range of existing data, Paste Special>Subtract.

    or, in a column alongside your data (supposing the data is in column A
    and the value you wish to subtract is 5) then
    =A1-5
    Copy down the column for the extent of your data in column A.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Thanks a million Roger, you helped me a lot!

  4. #4
    Oh, one more question:

    I want to get an absolute value of all the numbers in the column.
    How can I apply the function to the whole column at the same time?

  5. #5
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Substracting from a column

    Hi Venus

    Do you mean you want the Absolute in terms of you want the value of each
    cell without the sign e.g. 5 will return 5 and -5 will also return 5?
    If so then
    =ABS(A1) will give you the absolute of whatever value is in cell A1
    Copy down the column with the fill handle and it will change to =ABS(A2)
    etc. as you go down.
    The fill handle is the small black cross you see whenever you hover the
    cursor over the bottom right corner of the cell. Double click it to
    repeat the formula down the column.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    "venus21pam" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Substracting from a column

    Hi Venus

    Do you mean you want the Absolute in terms of you want the value of each
    cell without the sign e.g. 5 will return 5 and -5 will also return 5?
    If so then
    =ABS(A1) will give you the absolute of whatever value is in cell A1
    Copy down the column with the fill handle and it will change to =ABS(A2)
    etc. as you go down.
    The fill handle is the small black cross you see whenever you hover the
    cursor over the bottom right corner of the cell. Double click it to
    repeat the formula down the column.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier