Excel to Access...

  1. #1

    Excel to Access...

    First off let me say that I know that this is not a Access Forum .. but I have tried repeated to get my data into a Access table and it is not working.. So this is what I am hoping to accomplish in Excel... Since my knowledge of Excel far exceeds my knowledge of Access...

    What I want to do is put a command button in Access that opens an Excel add-in spreadsheet. then it will at first prompt you to select a file to manipulate and then when the file is opened manipulate the spreadsheet the way that I want it to. So that I can import it into Access... Without having to do all the crazy calculations in an Access Query ...

    Hopefully someone can help ....

  2. #2
    LeAnne
    Guest

    Re: Excel to Access...

    Hi,

    I think you're going to have to provide additional details. Are you
    using a command button on an Access Form? Does the button run a macro or
    a procedure? Are you trying to open Excel from Access (macro=RunApp
    action, Shell() in VBA)? Are you trying to import data from a single
    linked spreadsheet into your db? Or choose from several spreadsheet
    files? What kind of file are you trying to open after you fetch the
    Excel data? What kind of "manipulations" and "calculations" are we
    talking about?

    LeAnne

  3. #3
    Ok let see if I can answer some of this...

    The command button... The command button would be in Access to open the Excel spreadsheet that has the marco/procedure to manipulate the data...

    The file to be manipulated would be a Different Excel Spreadsheet each time.. The spreadsheet would be coming from a piece of test equipment that outputs the results data in spreadsheet format.... So I would need soemthing like a Excel add-in file....

    The calculation/and manipulation would not be anything complicated... An example of the calculation would be something =max(abs(CELL"X":CELL"Y") or maybe a IF(CELL"X">CELL"Y",CELL"X",CELL"Y") and the most complicated manipulation would deleting columns or cell with values like =CELL"X"... Nothing to complicated.....

    Hopefully this will help some...

  4. #4
    LeAnne
    Guest

    Re: Excel to Access...

    Hmm...helped some, but I'm still somewhat baffled. See comments inline.

    mseifert_99 wrote:

    > Ok let see if I can answer some of this...
    >
    > The command button... The command button would be in Access to open the
    > Excel spreadsheet that has the marco/procedure to manipulate the
    > data...

    With you so far...you want Access to open a particular spreadsheet file
    containing a previously-recorded macro/procedure.

    > The file to be manipulated would be a Different Excel Spreadsheet each
    > time.. The spreadsheet would be coming from a piece of test equipment
    > that outputs the results data in spreadsheet format....

    This is confusing. You mean you want to open a different workbook than
    the one containing the macro? And you want to be able to dynamically
    choose which spreadsheet to open?

    So I would need
    > soemthing like a Excel add-in file....

    By "add-in file," do you mean you want to create a supplemental program
    with custom features? What kind?

    > The calculation/and manipulation would not be anything complicated...
    > An example of the calculation would be something
    > =max(abs(CELL"X":CELL"Y") or maybe a
    > IF(CELL"X">CELL"Y",CELL"X",CELL"Y") and the most complicated
    > manipulation would deleting columns or cell with values like
    > =CELL"X"... Nothing to complicated.....

    As you say, these are not complex formulas and could easily be done in
    an Access query as well as in Excel.

    Perhaps I'm not understanding you correctly. Could you elucidate?

    LeAnne