Create dictionary of terms, create first time user site

  1. #1
    Solitaire Jane Austin
    Guest

    Create dictionary of terms, create first time user site

    I am a first time user of Excel 2000 and have no idea what the terms mean,
    how to do many things such as copy from one worksheet to another maintaining
    all formulas etc.
    I have inadvertently created a circular reference and have no idea how to
    remove it. Reading the help nots on allowing or correcting a circular
    reference didn't help, nor did locating & removing a circular reference.
    Should Navigate Circular Reference box be empty with no sign when you leave
    the mouse on it?
    Please help.
    Kind regards
    Jane

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...excel.newusers

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Create dictionary of terms, create first time user site

    Hi Jane, Circular Reference
    I can't tell for sure if you know what a circular reference is, I will
    assume that you do since you say you located and removed a circular
    reference. The indication probably being that you had multiple circular
    references. Suggest you look at the status bar for the words
    circular reference, then if you see "Circular:" not followed by a cell address
    then it is probably on another sheet -- to find that sheet ...

    Start on the first worksheet tab, and check the status bar (at the bottom)
    After checking use Ctrl+PageDown to check the next tab, and
    keep going through the tabs until you find the problem.

    View, Toolbars,
    (check) Circular References -- if not available see customize in following link:
    Tools, Options, Calculation
    (uncheck) iterations

    Allow or Correct a Circular Reference
    several items must be expanded see triangular symbols. or the "Show All"
    near the top or it's opposite "Hide All".

    Excel 2003/2004: Correcting Circular References, UWEC
    http://www.uwec.edu/help/Excel03/trshoot.htm (University of Wisconsin)

    Status Bar http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/statusbar.htm
    mentioned so you know what is available on the status bar.

    Just in case you don't know what a circular reference is;
    J3: =J3 a cell referring to itself would be a Circular Reference
    and this would show up as Circular: J3 if you are on
    that sheet tab, or just as Circular: if you are on another tab.

    F3: =G3
    G3 =F3 this is a circular reference because it is dependent on itself.

    As a new user you might want to look at some tutorials, including the video tutorials
    in the links at http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel....htm#tutorials
    and at Peter Noneley's Excel Function Dictionary (on Ron's site)
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/files/xlfdic01.zip you will have to unzip the file

    ---
    HTH,

    news:[email protected]...