Hlookup in other columns

  1. #1
    dan48
    Guest

    Hlookup in other columns

    In doing a hlookup I would like returned the cell contents from the left
    column and also left of that as in the example

    x y z aa ab ac
    1 2 3 4 5 6

    hlookup(ab1,a1:dd1000, 1) = 5
    but I am interested in receiving answer 4 and separetely answer 3

    Dan

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Hlookup in other columns

    Try something like this:

    hlookup(ab1,a1:dd1000, 1) = 5

    for the matched item:
    =INDEX(A1:DD1000,1,MATCH(AB1,A1:DD1,0))

    For the item one cell to the left of the matched item:
    =INDEX(A1:DD1000,1,MATCH(AB1,A1:DD1,0)-1)

    For the item two cells to the left of the matched item:
    =INDEX(A1:DD1000,1,MATCH(AB1,A1:DD1,0)-2)

    Does that help?

    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  3. #3
    dan
    Guest

    RE: Hlookup in other columns

    Your formula workes very well. Thank you for your help
    Dan