Selection Mode Stuck

  1. #1

    Selection Mode Stuck

    I've accidentally put Excel (Office 2003, w/latest updates) into a sticky selection mode on this one spreadsheet file and I can't turn it off. I apparently hit a key combo (I think with a mouse click) and now when I open this file and single click on any cell, that cell is selected and the selection extends in both directions as I move the mouse. I can't click on any buttons, or toolbar icons, or do anything to stop this selecting mode. It just goes on and on, autoscrolling to infinity. I eventually have to CTRL-ALT-DEL to kill Excel, just to free up my computer. Any help would be much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Selection Mode Stuck

    try touching the f8 key

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  3. #3
    kolya
    Guest

    RE: Selection Mode Stuck

    I am having the same problem. F8 did not help. Any other suggestions?

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Auckland New Zealand
    MS-Off Ver
    Office Professional 2007

    Click both mouse keys at once

    Sometimes, clicking the left and right mouse buttons at the same time will free up the cursor.

    Also try (if this is a USB mouse) diconnecting and reconnecting, several times if need be.

    And if the mouse has a wheel, try clicking that a few times.

    Last 2 suggestions thanks to Chip Pearson MS MVP

    Regards
    Mike
    Last edited by Mikeopolo; 03-23-2006 at 02:40 PM.

  5. #5
    kolya
    Guest

    Re: Selection Mode Stuck

    that worked...thanks

  6. #6
    Orange County, CA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: Selection Mode Stuck

    I had the same issue. The issue was across all applications not just Excel. To solve the problem I RnR the batteries and re-synced. The drivers were auto reloaded. Now no more permanent selection issue.

  7. #7
    USA
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: Selection Mode Stuck

    Thank you! left and right mouse buttons worked. Searched for quite a bit to find this answer

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor
    Auckland New Zealand
    MS-Off Ver
    Office Professional 2007

    Re: Selection Mode Stuck

    Very glad it worked for you, and thanks for the feedback!