Closed Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

How do I count the frequency of a given number in a column?

  1. #1
    dykstra_sj
    Guest

    How do I count the frequency of a given number in a column?

    In a column I have a list of numbers (1-5) and I want to know how many 1s,
    2s, 3s, etc. What is the formula?

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: How do I count the frequency of a given number in a column?

    Try something like this:
    For numbers in A1:A10

    B1: =COUNTIF(A1:A10,1)
    (Returns the count of 1's)

    or
    C1: (a number between 1 and 5)
    B1: =COUNTIF(A1:A10,C1)
    (Returns to the count of items that match the value in C1)

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  3. #3
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: How do I count the frequency of a given number in a column?

    =COUNTIF(C4:C7,"=1")
    ************
    Hope it helps!
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How do I count the frequency of a given number in a column?

    One more methos.

    Assuming your digits are in A1:A100

    In B1:B5 enter digits 1 through 5.

    Select C1:C5

    In activecell C1 enter =FREQUENCY(A1:A100,B1:B5) and hit CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER

    Excel will place curly brackets around the formula because it is an ARRAY
    formula.

    The frequency of each number in B1:B1 will be returned to C1:C5

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: How do I count the frequency of a given number in a column?

    Thanks, Ron. I seem constantly to be learning here...
    ************
    Hope it helps!
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: How do I count the frequency of a given number in a column?

    Check out Tools > DataAnalysis > Histogram.......

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  7. #7
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    Re: How do I count the frequency of a given number in a column?

    >>I seem constantly to be learning here...<<

    I think every one of us feels the same way.
    I know I do.
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

    "Anne Troy" wrote:

    > Thanks, Ron. I seem constantly to be learning here...
    > ************
    > Hope it helps!
    > Anne Troy
    > www.OfficeArticles.com
    >
    > "Ron Coderre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Try something like this:
    > > For numbers in A1:A10
    > >
    > > B1: =COUNTIF(A1:A10,1)
    > > (Returns the count of 1's)
    > >
    > > or
    > > C1: (a number between 1 and 5)
    > > B1: =COUNTIF(A1:A10,C1)
    > > (Returns to the count of items that match the value in C1)
    > >

    > > Does that help?

    > > Regards,
    > > Ron
    > >
    > > XL2002, WinXP-Pro
    > >

    > > "dykstra_sj" wrote:
    > >
    > >> In a column I have a list of numbers (1-5) and I want to know how many
    > >> 1s,
    > >> 2s, 3s, etc. What is the formula?

Closed Thread