[SOLVED] How to Sort Invalid Email Addresses?

  1. #1
    la90292
    Guest

    [SOLVED] How to Sort Invalid Email Addresses?

    My customer base of 5,000+ records (columns a-l) has some invalid email
    addresses in column g. The "@" is missing. I would like to have those
    particular email addresses sorted at the beginning of the list so that I can
    go through them and see if they can be corrected or deleted.

    Which formula would work best for this project?

    Thanks for your help.

    Best regards,
    victor

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: How to Sort Invalid Email Addresses?

    try data filter
    data>filter>autofilter>custom>doesnotcontain @

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    SeaTiger
    Guest

    Re: How to Sort Invalid Email Addresses?

    Hi Don:

    Thank's for the suggestion. That worked fine; however, my customer list has
    been previously sorted using an "advanced filter" for the 13 western states
    only. So, when I use your suggestion to identify the invalid email address
    it shows all the records in all the states. How would I override this to
    only do the customers in the 13 western states with invalid email addresses?

    Thanks again for your time and consideration.

    Best regards,
    victor

    news:OjYKrr%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: How to Sort Invalid Email Addresses?

    Couldn't you apply both filters?

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    la90292
    Guest

    Re: How to Sort Invalid Email Addresses?

    Since one is an advanced filter and one an auto filter how can you apply
    them at the same time. I can not do them separately without showing all the
    records again. Or, how would I use write the formula above the email column
    using the advanced filter to produce the same results as the auto filter. I
    tried writing "does not contain @" above the email colum, but that didn't
    work.

  6. #6
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: How to Sort Invalid Email Addresses?

    Another suggestion would be to use advanced filter and copy to another
    location, that would give you
    an unfiltered list separated from the original list and you can apply
    autofilter on that list

    Peo Sjoblom

    Portland, Oregon

  7. #7
    SeaTiger
    Guest

    Re: How to Sort Invalid Email Addresses?

    Hi Peo:

    That's what I did, but when I attempted to do the auto filter the previous
    records come up again. What do I need to do to the new list so that doesn't
    happen.

    Thanks, victor

    news:err%[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: How to Sort Invalid Email Addresses?

    I would copy the advanced filtered list to another sheet, thus out of the
    way form any filters on the same sheet
    If you start from the sheet where you want to copy the list, assume the list
    is in Sheet1 and you want to filtered list in Sheet2,
    click in A1 in Sheet2, do data>filter>advanced filter, click in the list
    range and select the table in Sheet1,
    put in the criteria, then copy to click in a cell in Sheet2, do then filter
    and it will be in Sheet2, now you will have a filtered list without any
    interference, then apply the autofilter and filter 'til the cows come home

    Peo Sjoblom

    Portland, Oregon

  9. #9
    la90292
    Guest

    Re: How to Sort Invalid Email Addresses?

    Okay, that worked. It took awhile because you have to make sure you have the
    right sheets before each range and criteria so I kept getting error
    messages.

    Now I'm ready to bring the cows home and want to auto filter my email
    addresses to identify those cells that are not blank and do not have the @.
    I figured out the "does not contain" @, but what do I use for the
    identifying the records that are not blank??

    Really, thanks alot for your help.

    Best regards,
    victor

    My customer list is file is in sheet 2. My list range is : $A$15:$l$5443. My
    criteria range is: $A$1:$l$14.

    news:#[email protected]...

  10. #10
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: How to Sort Invalid Email Addresses?

    OK, from autofilter dropdown select custom, then does not contain @
    AND does not equal and leave the box to the right empty

    Peo Sjoblom

    Portland, Oregon

  11. #11
    la90292
    Guest

    Re: How to Sort Invalid Email Addresses?

    Peo. the cows are finally in the barn...thanks!!!