Calculate A Date Excluding Weekends And Holidays

  1. #1

    Calculate A Date Excluding Weekends And Holidays

    I have a date and a series of tasks that need to be completed by a certain number of days from the intial date. The time to complete the tasks can not include weekends or holidays.
    Example: Initial date is 2/15/2006
    I have 10 business days to complete a task

    All Help will be appreciated. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Calculate A Date Excluding Weekends And Holidays

    =WORKDAY(A1,10)

    Format as date
    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    NIEK,
    =WORKDAY(A1,10)
    I tried that formula and the results came up as NAME.
    Any suggestiond?Thanks,

    TRAVELERSWAY

  4. #4

    Re: Calculate A Date Excluding Weekends And Holidays

    Sounds like you're missing the Analysis TookPak Add-in. Excel's Help on the WORKDAY function says the following:

    1. On the Tools menu, click Add-Ins.
    2. In the Add-Ins available list, select the Analysis ToolPak box, and then click OK.
    3. If necessary, follow the instructions in the setup program.

  5. #5
    TAYLORM,

    I followed your suggestion. I now receive the same day but an extended year: calculated date of 2/15/20 .

    I am using a custom format for the date; xx"/"xx"/"xx will this affect the results?

    Thank you for your help.

    TRAVELERSWAY.

  6. #6
    When I changed mine to a Custom format of xx"/"xx"/"xx as you said, it displayed xx/xx/xx. So I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do there.

    I have 2/15/2006 in cell A1, with a normal Date type format. In cell B2 I have the following formula:
    =WORKDAY(A1,10) to add 10 working days to 2/15/2006.

    The result in cell B2 (with the same Date type format as cell A1) shows 3/1/2006.

  7. #7
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Calculate A Date Excluding Weekends And Holidays

    Yes, to make sense WORKDAY needs a date entered with delimiters like
    02/01/06 for Feb 2006 using US settings
    or it needs the conversion whatever that might be depending on how you enter
    "dates"
    Note that it is always better to enter dates that excel can recognize
    instead of enter pseudo dates that one has to convert to excel dates

    Peo Sjoblom

    Portland, Oregon

    "travelersway" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    TAYLORM,

    Thank you for hour help. The date is programed to just enter the numbers for the date: 021506 would = 2/15/06. I'll reformat the date funcion and see what happens.

    Will this formula account for legal holidays as well?

    Thanks again for all your help.
    TRAVELERSWAY

  9. #9
    Yes, you can tell it to account for holidays. There is a 3rd parameter in the function where you can either reference a range of cells that contain holiday dates or you can enter an array constant.

    The Excel Help gives an excellent example.

    If I change my formula to =WORKDAY(A1,11,$C$1:$C$10), where C1 thru C10 contain holiday dates, my result changes from 3/2/2006 to 3/3/2006 (because I have 2/20/2006 listed in my holiday range).

  10. #10
    I CHANGED THE FORMAT FOR THE DATES AND EVERYTHING FELL INTO PLACE!

    I"ll attempt that holiday array.

    Again,Thanks to everyone for the help.