Closed Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Template for building personal dictionary of foreign words

  1. #1
    slovakwannabe
    Guest

    Template for building personal dictionary of foreign words

    I am looking for a template on which I could establish a personal dictionary
    for the Slovak language. The Slovak language is very complicated. All words
    have several grammatical forms. Many words have mulitiple uses. Best way to
    decipher the differences is to have ready the definitions and to see the use
    of the word in actual slovak sentences. So, a two field data base is grossly
    insufficient. I would like something more comples but not sure how to be
    innovative using excel creating such a template.

  2. #2
    Karen
    Guest

    Re: Template for building personal dictionary of foreign words

    Hello!

    I use Excel 2003.

    My understanding is that you are creating this dictionary from scratch
    and are not seeking to hyperlink each word to an online dictionary or
    import data from another database.

    If that is the case, and in its simplest form you'd just like to create
    your own personal grammatical usage sample for each word (with several
    examples of how that word could be used in a sentence), this is how I
    might approach it:

    In column A, cell A1 you would type the word. I can't use a Slovak
    word, but I'll use the English word "blast" to demonstrate my example.
    In column B, cell B1 just next to it, I would create a drop-down box as
    follows:

    Select cell B1
    Click "DATA" on the menu
    Click "VALIDATION"
    You'll get a dialogue box that says "Data Validation"

    Click the tab : INPUT MESSAGE
    In the box called "Title", enter the word (i.e. 'blast')
    In the box called "Input Message", type all the sentences that you feel
    this word "blast" could apply to.

    In my case I typed the following sentences in the Input Message box:

    The spaceship created a "blast".
    I had a "blast" at the party.
    My parents said they would "blast" me if I stayed out late.

    Click "OK"

    What will happen going forward, is that each time you click on cell B1
    (next to the word "Blast" in cell A1), is that you'll get a drop-down
    window that will show you all the uses or possible sentences that the
    word "blast" could apply to.

    Again, I'm assuming that you are creating this dictionary from scratch
    and are not looking to import data from other sources.

    There may be a way to import this type of data and/or examples, but if
    you are creating it yourself, then this would at least give you the
    examples that you need at the click of a cell.

    Best of luck with this! Let us know how it turns out!

    Karen

  3. #3
    slovakwannabe
    Guest

    Re: Template for building personal dictionary of foreign words

    Yes, your input is helpful. And I am not looking for links or anything like
    that. Just something innovative in the way of a personal dictionary which I
    can use to easily look up words with clear definitions and usages. In other
    words, a quick reference the that best support my personal learning needs,
    abilities, etc.

    Thanks Karen

    "Karen" wrote:

    > Hello!
    >
    > I use Excel 2003.
    >
    > My understanding is that you are creating this dictionary from scratch
    > and are not seeking to hyperlink each word to an online dictionary or
    > import data from another database.
    >
    > If that is the case, and in its simplest form you'd just like to create
    > your own personal grammatical usage sample for each word (with several
    > examples of how that word could be used in a sentence), this is how I
    > might approach it:
    >
    > In column A, cell A1 you would type the word. I can't use a Slovak
    > word, but I'll use the English word "blast" to demonstrate my example.
    > In column B, cell B1 just next to it, I would create a drop-down box as
    > follows:
    >
    > Select cell B1
    > Click "DATA" on the menu
    > Click "VALIDATION"
    > You'll get a dialogue box that says "Data Validation"
    >
    > Click the tab : INPUT MESSAGE
    > In the box called "Title", enter the word (i.e. 'blast')
    > In the box called "Input Message", type all the sentences that you feel
    > this word "blast" could apply to.
    >
    > In my case I typed the following sentences in the Input Message box:
    >
    > The spaceship created a "blast".
    > I had a "blast" at the party.
    > My parents said they would "blast" me if I stayed out late.
    >
    > Click "OK"
    >

    > What will happen going forward, is that each time you click on cell B1
    > (next to the word "Blast" in cell A1), is that you'll get a drop-down
    > window that will show you all the uses or possible sentences that the
    > word "blast" could apply to.
    >
    > Again, I'm assuming that you are creating this dictionary from scratch
    > and are not looking to import data from other sources.
    >
    > There may be a way to import this type of data and/or examples, but if
    > you are creating it yourself, then this would at least give you the
    > examples that you need at the click of a cell.
    >
    > Best of luck with this! Let us know how it turns out!
    >
    > Karen

Closed Thread