Solve:can this be done?

  1. #1

    Solve:can this be done?

    Here's the basic set up:

    1| 456
    1| 52
    1| 78
    1| 91
    1| 12
    1| 6
    1| 7
    2| 12
    2| 80
    2| 9
    2| 15
    2| 12
    2| 6

    And here's the question:
    Basically, column A represents an item # and column B represent the item price.

    What I want to do is - and please know I'm sincere when I say I've really been trying to solve this myself - every time A:A = 1, I want to average the lowest 3 prices in B:B relating to A:A1... and then average the lowest 3 prices in B:B relating to the A:A = 2.

    Maybe I've completely over-thought this one.

    Keep in mind, too... that this is a really basic example of what I'm trying to do. There are over 1400 individual items, each being sold at multiple prices. I understand enough of excel that a similarly basic example will suffice - one that I can just create 1400+ times over.

    Thanks to anyone ahead of time for your help.

    Stuffandthings

  2. #2
    Bob Umlas
    Guest

    re: Solve:can this be done?

    ctrl/shift/enter this:
    =AVERAGE(SMALL(IF(A1:A2000=1,B1:B2000,""),ROW(1:3)))
    and/or
    =AVERAGE(SMALL(IF(A1:A2000=2,B1:B2000,""),ROW(1:3)))

    "stuffandthings"
    <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Domenic
    Guest

    re: Solve:can this be done?

    Assuming that A1:B13 contains your data...

    Let D1 contain 1

    Let D2 contain 2

    Enter the following formula in E1 and copy down:

    =AVERAGE(SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$13=D1,IF($B$1:$B$13<>"",$B$1:$B$13)),{1,2,3}))

    ....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER.

    Hope this helps!

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    stuffandthings